Author Topic: Controlling b linens growth  (Read 1796 times)

AndreasMergner

Controlling b linens growth
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:52:25 AM »
I have a Stilton that is about a month old and it was doing great with PR growth until I went on vacation for 10 days.  I had a neighbor taking it out for 30 minutes and flipping it every couple days.  When I came back it was covered with b linens.  (Disregard the unique shape.)

I tried to dry it off for about 8 days, but it just kept feeling sticky.  Al suggested I scrape off the b linens.  I did that and now the rind feels drier, but not completely dry...and much less sticky.  It is also much less orange now in then the second picture suggests.  The before pic is actually pretty accurate.

So what can I do to keep the PR at bay?  I have it at 85% humidity, 52 degrees.   Raise/lower temp/humidity, salt it, vinegar???  I want the PR to cover more of the outside if possible so I figure I may have to innoculate the rind with it again.

Suggestions?   :)

Tomer1

Re: Controlling b linens growth
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
Nothing much you can do other then scrap it off. once it gets a hold, its hard to eliminate.

Tom Turophile

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »
I'm assuming this is cross-contamination from your cheese cave?

AndreasMergner

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 07:29:06 PM »
It could be from the cave, but from what I understand b linens is everywhere including your hands.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
I could be wrong, but it does look to me to have the colors more of an isolated strain than the wild varieties. At least in my area and also in the Swiss Alps, the wild strains of linens we grow on our cheeses have more of a golden yellow color and not so much of the reds or oranges.

But yes, b. linens are in fact everywhere and if you allow the proper environment for them to develop they will grow.

They like excessive amounts of moisture (attained either through high humidity or wet cheese surfaces) and higher salinity. I would suspect that if your cheese was ever dripping wet, then the b. linens were able to oust the desired molds.

I'll be a good boy and disregard the unique shape too  ;)

AndreasMergner

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »
Thanks Alp for not ribbing me on my new patented super cheese shape. 

So, just keep it dry and don't salt it.  I wonder if blue mold will grow on a drier rind surface.  I think it will since it can be a problem on even dry rinds.