Author Topic: Finally. Raw Milk. Time for Cheddar!!  (Read 4311 times)

Brian

Finally. Raw Milk. Time for Cheddar!!
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:58:27 PM »
I found a local "farm" that sells raw milk and am going for my first raw milk cheese.  Been trying to decide what I was going to make, either a Gouda or Cheddar and Cheddar wins out.

I am going to use the recipe that is posted on this board elsewhere and am anticipating a good 10 hours of work.  I hope it's worth it!!

I'm guessing since it's raw that I won't need the Calcium Chloride.  Any other tips?

Brian

wharris

Re: Finally. Raw Milk. Time for Cheddar!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:27 PM »
Raw Milk.  I am so envious. I don't think you will need CaCl2.

MY only suggestion is to get a pH meter if you don't already have one.

With raw milk,  lactic acid production is the primary way (although not the only way) you are gonna kill bad things that may be lurking in the milk.  You will want to ensure that you are getting enough (but not too much) acid produced in your cheddar.

There are lots of threads in the forum at this point about pH and Cheddar.  Dave (likespace) has been doing a lot of work in this area and think he is the current cheddar/pH expert.

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »
Wayne,
Your comment made me feel really good, but I'm honestly just trying to absorb it all right now.
Hopefully with all of us working together we can get a handle on what I consider to be one of the most important aspects of cheesemaking.
Well, other than salting and aging and starter concentrations and humidity and.......

Dave

wharris

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:04:50 AM »
You forgot setting, cutting, stirring, scalding, washing, draining, hooping, pressing, flipping..........

;)

Likesspace

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:06:20 AM »
LOL....
I don't know if we will ever be completely satisfied but as long as today's cheese is better than yesterdays then progress is being made.
I told my dad over the weekend that I'm working towards one simple goal:
Once I reach retirement age (about 20 years from now) I'd like to set up a small building on our property and begin to produce an artisan cheese for sale.
At that point I don't want to experiment with dozens of different cheeses. I want to make one and make it well.
I don't want to turn it into a "business" and I don't want to be committed to it every day of the year. I simply want to make cheese when I feel like making it and see customers that are satisfied, (okay, blown away), when they taste it.
Guys, I have had so many hobbies over my lifetime that I can't even begin to count them all, but this is one that has held my interest for 3 years now.
I also realize that, only now, am I beginning to crack the surface of all that's involved in this hobby so I see it as one that will hold my interest for several years to come.
I've said it before but it's the honest truth. I really love doing this.

Dave

wharris

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:10:03 AM »
You sound so much like me, its scary.

Brian

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »
OK
So far this is how it went.

I love raw milk.

Clean Break

Cut Curds

Curds before cheddering (Stirred)

And before pressing

When it's done pressing I'll snap another photo.

I love the natural yellow/orange color.

Brian

Likesspace

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 11:40:27 PM »
Brian, looking good.
Can't wait to see it out of the press.

Wayne:
I remember reading that you are also interested in making/selling cheese in your retirement. All I can say is it's a good thing we both still have several years before we get to that point. I'm afraid that it might just take that long before we are ready. :-)

Dave

Brian

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 12:41:35 AM »
Yea.
Problem is, it's kind of a forced retirement at this point.
I'm going full force on the Farmhouse and Stirred Curd Cheddars to sell at market this summer.
Not that I'll make a living at it but maybe bring something in. 

Brian

Oh, and I got back from dinner out tonight out find that my pug (picture located left) ate a whole bag of bubble gum.  Wrappers and all.
I'm sure he will survive it.  He's eaten a foot long candy cane and a big Hersheys Kiss before.  Yes, a mess afterwards.................
You don't want to know.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:49:28 AM by Brian »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »
Aww poor doggy. NO with raw you don't need CaCl2. Looks good. You should check out your requirement for selling at market becaue most need a proof that it was made in a certified professional kitchen, even small farmers markets require that.

Wayne, I've seen this before but what is actually meant by "scalding"?

wharris

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 01:38:40 AM »
Scalding referrs generically to the cooking phase of the curd.
Cheeses can be categorised from None to high scald cheeses.

Examples:
No scald: Cambridge or Limburger
Low scald: Edam
Medium scald: cheddar, Gouda, port du salut
High scald: Parmesan, emmentaler, picorino

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 03:16:44 AM »
That's what I thought, scalding is so misleading.

wharris

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 03:21:36 AM »
Yeah, its not the same scalding you get from say,  dropping cheese into a vat of molten wax. (just for example)

lol

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 05:33:33 AM »
You know I was totally setting you up.

Brian

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »
Here is the finished cheese with the Jacuzzi skimmer basket mold in the background.

As far as a certified kitchen, you don't know where I live.................  this is the poorest county in Oregon.  Everyone here is telling me not to worry about "reg's" and to even bootleg my mead at the market.  ;)

Getting more milk today.

Oh, and the pug survived the bubblegum incident.

Brian