Author Topic: crotonese  (Read 3093 times)

green zebra

crotonese
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
Does anyone out there know of a recipe for a crotonese cheese? I have searched many sites and have asked some cheese houses with no luck. I even asked the house that sells the mold to make this cheese? They offer many recipes but not this one.
Thank you!

linuxboy

Re: crotonese
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »
This is a pecorino variant. You make it like a pecorino. Are you trying to clone the flavor? Impossible without using the milk and indigenous flora.

green zebra

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
 I won't even try to clone it but will use sheep's milk and follow Gianaclis Caldwell's recipe for extra hard cheese. just need the molds.
Thank you!

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:20:55 AM »
A pecorino is not an extra hard cheese. It's similar, but often it is acidified more before drain and also a bit lower before brine. The moisture targets are also higher. I would follow a classic pecorino toscano or pecorino romano recipe.

Mina

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »
A pecorino is not an extra hard cheese. It's similar, but often it is acidified more before drain and also a bit lower before brine. The moisture targets are also higher. I would follow a classic pecorino toscano or pecorino romano recipe.

Hi linuxboy

I'll be attempting a Crotonese-type cheese as well using whole ewes milk.  You mention that it is more of a pecorino toscano recipe one should follow.  Where can I find those?  I've searched but can't seem to come up with anything.
Any guidance is appreciated!!