Author Topic: Vacchino Romano success  (Read 1315 times)

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
Vacchino Romano success
« on: November 01, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »
Aged 8+ months.  Grates perfectly.  I let it get fairly hard, drying out in the cave for about 4-5 months.  Then I bagged it.  Not sure how hard these guys can get, but I didn't want it to turn to powder when I tried to grate. 

This was made with whole cow's milk.  I added lipase.  Flavor is near perfect I'd say. 

Pretty happy.  Glad I made two. 

- Andrew

panamamike

Re: Vacchino Romano success
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:01:51 PM »
Looks wonderful, Andrew. I bet its time for home made pasta!

AC4U, I always enjoy reading your posts. I'm sure you are a big inspiration to many people on this forum.

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 09:54:13 PM »
Beautiful, and I love those fine graters. Dh loves those fine graters too and he even offers to grate our parms and romanos.

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 10:19:04 PM »
Looks wonderful, Andrew. I bet its time for home made pasta!

AC4U, I always enjoy reading your posts. I'm sure you are a big inspiration to many people on this forum.

Yessir!  I made pasta carbonara, and added a bunch of this cheese (and some homemade bacon which I cure and smoke myself).  It was so good.

If I've inspired others, that's awesome.  I hope I don't give the impression I know what I'm doing, but I do hope that others give it a try, have the same fun I'm having, and hopefully a few successes too.

No picture of the carbonara, but here is that romano on pasta with a bolognese sauce (mostly beef, with some pork, lots of mushrooms, etc).  And a garlic/cheddar roll.  Mmmm. 

- Andrew

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:24:15 PM »
Beautiful, and I love those fine graters. Dh loves those fine graters too and he even offers to grate our parms and romanos.

I recommend this one.  I hate the box graters that we grew up with.  This one is far better for hard grata cheeses. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GQXFTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Andrew