Author Topic: Colby - Salting or Brining? - Done Anyways !  (Read 915 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Colby - Salting or Brining? - Done Anyways !
« on: October 05, 2020, 08:31:29 PM »
I plan on making a Colby next week, from my typical mix of 8 litres of 2% homogenized plus 1 litre of 18% coffee cream (=9 litres of 3.8% BF).... This mixture sets well and has a slight "cream-line" before mixing.... I plan on using 1/2 pkt. of C101 Meso starter from NEC.... I have several recipes for Colby, and some use dry salting (1.5% to 2% of the curd weight) before pressing, and others recommend brining the pressed cheese in a saturated (26%) solution.... Which would you recommend, and for brining, how long (total time) for a small truckle (4.5" diam. x 4.5" tall) weighing 1 kg....?

Additionally, what multiplier for the Flocculation time, and what size to cut the curds?.... Any resting time?....

Bob
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:57:39 PM by rsterne »
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
Re: Colby - Salting or Brining? - Floc. Time & Curd Size?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 06:45:06 PM »
Well, no answers, so I went ahead anyways.... I used 8 litres of 2% homogenized milk and 700 ml. of 18% coffee cream (total volume 8.7 L or 2.3 gal.).... That works out to the proper Protein/Fat Ratio of 1.03 from the Univ. of Guelph eBook, using the fat and protein content from Dairyland in my calculations.... We followed the recipe in Ricki's book for the most part (increased the last pressing because my mould is larger diam.), and the cheese is sitting in the saturated brine right now (10 hrs. is the plan).... I used a Floc. multiple of 3.0, cut the curds to 3/8", and they were pretty uniform and about the size of peas by the time the cooking was finished.... and the "grip test" seemed to indicate we were about where we needed to be before washing them (using the 2 step cold wash from the book).... Boy did we end up with a lot of curds, pretty much filled the cut down medium cylinder mould I have, which has a volume of nearly 2 litres (2 quarts).... The first pressing was at 10 lbs. for 15 min., the whey was pretty clear, and the volume reduced about 20%).... The last step was overnight at 60 lbs. (about a 30% total volume loss)... After pressing the weight was 2 lbs. 13 oz., we'll see what it is after brining....

After air drying a few days we will be waxing it and then into the cave at 55*F and 82% to age *fingers crossed*....

Bob

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
Re: Colby - Salting or Brining? - Done Anyways !
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 06:59:42 PM »
Here is a photo of the Colby on the drying mat....

I used a cut down NEC Medium Hard Cheese Mould (2-4 lb.).... nice proportions, IMO.... I used 1 drop Annatto per litre....

Bob

jodud

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 01:59:40 AM »
A fine looking cheese! Did you had any problems with bulging? I supposed you ate it by now, how was it?

Cheers,
JD

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 05:12:09 AM »
This cheese was very soft, and over the first 6 weeks of aging it flattened quite a bit and the sides bulged out some.... It had a slight cheddar aroma and taste, a bit crumbly, but very moist.... It was somewhat sour, we vacuum bagged half the wheel, and we'll see what it is like at 3 months.... Overall, it needs to be drier, next time we won't use quite as much cold water for the wash, stopping at 80*F instead of 75*F.... In addition, we will direct salt the curds before moulding, instead of brining.... Also, I will be doubling the Annatto to 2 drops per litre....

Bob

jodud

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 08:01:49 PM »
Thank you for your kind reply!

I was also thinking of reducing the time in cold water or increasing the temperature next time. But lets see how this one will turn out first.

JD