Author Topic: Moldy outlooks - Preventing wrinkles and creases  (Read 3143 times)

nikro000

Moldy outlooks - Preventing wrinkles and creases
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:41:53 PM »
When I looked at my first cheese today (farmhouse cheddar - currently ripening at 55F) I noticed some dark spots beneath the wax. I scraped at it and - yeah - it's mold  :o. I'll take the wax off and rub it with vinegar before I rewax it.
Part of the problem is (I think) some deep creases and wrinkles in the surface of the cheese. This was where most of the mold developed. I made sure that the wax was very thin when I brushed it on, so that it would fill the creases, but I guess it was not enough.
The creases came from the fact, that when I lined the mold to put the curds in, I thought that the curds would just smooth out the cheese cloth. But when I took the cheese out of the mold after pressing, the cloth was trapped in many places inside deep creases in the wheel. Some of them smoothed out during air drying. Some were just too deep. The next time I press, I will redress the cheese every time I turn it over. But here is my question:

Is there a technique to line the mold and put the curds in, that prevents creases and wrinkles as much as possible in the first place?
How do YOU do it?

Thank you
nikro000

green zebra

Re: Moldy outlooks - Preventing wrinkles and creases
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »
In every cheese recipe i have used and in most reference books i have read, it is always suggested to pull the muslin/cheesecloth up while the cheese is in the lined mold, before placing the follower and pressing.
Doing this eliminates and minimizes the folds and wrinkles of the cloth.

My method is, after i spoon the curd in the lined mold, i will gently pull all four of the corners of the cloth up as much as i can without allowing the curd to fall out of the hoop.

Next i will place the follower on top of the curd and pull up  all four corners of the cloth, one at a time, at the same time as pressing on the follower applying just enough pressure till the slack of the cloth is no more.

After flipping the cheese, i repeat the process. I always achieve smooth sides and bottoms. Sometimes the tops may have slight creasing but never been a concern for me, regarding mold getting trapped in there, etc.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
I do like Green Zebra says and then I actually don't fold the cheesecloth across the top under the follower.  I use a separate smaller piece that I can easily lay flat, then put the follower in and then put all the corners and extra of the cloth up on the follower but out of the way of the press plunger arm of course.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »
Forgot to mention that you can do the last pressing or two without any cloth at all and that smooths out the wrinkles that have shown up.  Wouldn't help with situations where the cloth wrinkles had gotten stuck into the cheese maybe.

green zebra

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »
Tiarella,
With your method of pressing, i am surprised you still get any wrinkles! Don't know what else to suggest. Maybe now that you have voiced your problem, you won't get anymore wrinkles, LOL! And i hope this will be the case! Good Luck!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Hi Green Zebra,  did you get confused and think I was the one who started the thread about wrinkle problems?  Wasn't sure I understood your response to my response to the person with the wrinkle issues.   :). I am not having any problems with wrinkles......On my cheese at least.  Lots of laugh wrinkles on me though!   :D

stratocasterdave

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
Also, to comment on the mold, yes, remove wax, and rub off.  Next time wax a little thicker.  The reason you got mold under the wax is the there may have been a very very small hole or crack in the wax letting air in.

green zebra

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
Tiarella,
OMG!! Yes i guess i am confused...my comment was meant for Nikro000, so sorry! :)