Author Topic: Monte Enebro  (Read 7304 times)

TAMARA

Re: Monte Enebro
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
Hi There,

I was experimenting with lactic blue some time ago and made some logs. I took them to a cheese distributor here in Melbourne and he told me that it was very similar to Mont Enebro (I hadn't even heard of it before then!).

I also made a lactic goat cheese but didnt' pre drain though i do these days. I salted it at 2% and as the milk was inoculated with blue, didn't spray at all.

It took about 10 days for the blue to do its work and after 3 weeks, was covered. I then ashed it lightly.

I hope that helps.

TAMARA

HB

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 08:09:34 PM »
Hi Tamara. What was the interior paste like on your logs?

HB

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »
The outside is fully coated in blue. It looks similar to this picture of a young Monte Enebro. I would like to wait until it looks more like the white/black rind of an aged one to open it.

HB

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 05:06:15 PM »
The ashed one had a few spots of fuzzy white mold, which you can see in the top left and bottom right of this picture. I patted it down, reduced the humidity, and lowered the temp to discourage its growth.

HB

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
I opened the unashed one today. As I expected, the texture was very close to a Humbolt Fog. The flavor was delicious. Clean, tangy, more intense towards the rind. No bitterness. I really like this cheese. It is like a Humbolt Fog/Monte Enebro lovechild. I'm going to age the ashed one a little longer and drier and see what happens.

beechercreature

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
that looks delicious! great job.

CWREBEL

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 09:19:12 PM »
That is a cool looking cheese! 8) I love the color.

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »
What a great looking cheese!  A cheese to you for sharing. 

- Jeff

HB

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »
Thanks guys. I might try this again with a different PR strain to see if I can get less proteolysis under the rind.

TAMARA

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 06:08:39 AM »
Hi all,

HB, the paste on my MOnte Enebro version was drier than yours but I made them into logs and let them dry out quite a bit to avoid any PC growth.  Your second photo of the real Mont Enebro definately looks ashed... and the other photo looks so blue... scary blue, like they forgot to rub it back or something. Anyway, its all interesting and good fun.

Regards,

TAMARA

Chris K

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
That looks awesome. Congrats!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 12:51:10 AM »
The outside is fully coated in blue. It looks similar to this picture of a young Monte Enebro. I would like to wait until it looks more like the white/black rind of an aged one to open it.

Do you think they washed the rind of that aged white/black one in your photo?  It almost looks like they washed it with something after full bloom of PC.  looks cool......think I'll try something like that.

Chris K

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 09:02:13 PM »

Do you think they washed the rind of that aged white/black one in your photo?  It almost looks like they washed it with something after full bloom of PC.  looks cool......think I'll try something like that.

Monte Enebro?  No wash- just the bloom

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »

Monte Enebro?  No wash- just the bloom
I meant where the white bloom is knocked back to show the ash....wondered if that was from washing it.  I've seen a similar look in other photos that were bloomies washed.