Author Topic: Waxing a perspective.  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Waxing a perspective.
« on: February 20, 2009, 03:13:25 AM »
So for all of those people out there who think, "Dam Carter has the coolest toys, I wish he would ESAD." This is for you. I might make big, but when I fail, I fail big too. Here's an equation for all you thinkers. What do you get when you take 16 pounds of cheddar, 30 pounds hot wax and a poorly designed waxing cradle? Don't know scroll down.

homeacremom

Re: Waxing a perspective.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 03:15:59 AM »
Oh No! Happy clean up!  :o

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:21:09 AM »
I'm not too fussed it didn't actually get very far. If you notice I have a theme room kitchen it's my own design rain forest meets drug shack in the jungle. I might need a new range though. The cheese didn't get damaged and I was able to peel the ugly wax off and reuse most of the splashed stuff. I seriously have to consider a different technique for waxing these big wheels. Now if it was my new 48" professional range I'm getting then I would be shooting my gun in the air, for examples see Point Break and Hot Fuzz. This is a great lesson, when my new range gets here no way I'm doing this stuff at all on it except for cooking. I'll probably take this old one outside and hook it up and put a rubbermade shed around it just for this sort of stuff.

ATTENTION People no matter how fool proof of a system you have, have a contingency plan. My cheese fell down into the 24" high pot. I was freakin' out. How in the hell do I get my cheese out. The cheese is most important but I didn't want to ruin the cheese, waste $50 worth of wax or destroy another large pot by pouring the wax in. Luckily I had a bussing bucket outside I use for drying the wheels in once waxed. I poured the wax in that dumped the wheel onto a cardboard box outside. Peeled off the wax and put it in the frig until I could figure out to wax it properly. Then I scraped the warm wax off the bucket. Note warm was comes off pretty easy, hot wax not so much.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:22:58 AM »
I'll be posting pics of the waxed cheese under the farmhouse cheddar #11 thread.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:45:34 AM »
Wowee thats a mess but like you said could have been worse, hope you didn't get burnt from the wax.

stuartjc

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:49:51 AM »
all I can say is  :o  :-\  :'(

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 03:50:09 AM »
Thanks for the concern, but no it actually didn't get on me. I'm actully not that fussed, aside from my range, it's not so bad. Could have been worse as my glasses broke today to and my new ones will be ready tomorrow, meaing if my new glasses got splashed I'd be pissed.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 03:50:45 AM »
Stuart, I was sure you were going to say Barlye wine makes a wonderful cleaner upper. LOL

stuartjc

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 03:52:33 AM »
nah, Barleywine makes a wonderful sorrow drowner ;)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:58:45 AM »
I meant you drink a whole bottle and everything miraculously looks clean.

saycheese

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 04:07:23 AM »
Would it work to melt the wax in a large double boiler with boiling water in the bottom half?  Then take the whole mess (water bath and melted wax) away from the stove and dip the cheese in an area that is easier to clean and/or protected with a drop cloth or something?  Just wondering, because I do that with small cheeses and it seems to work pretty well.  Also, I hate having to clean up wax off a stove -- it's a lot easier on a flat countertop.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 04:32:59 AM »
Thats a good idea. The wax stays hot so I would just need to heat it up, then take it outside to dip, then return to the stove.

OH JOY I just remembered that I have some Professional Automotive Wax and Grease remover. Works like a charm so everything except the stove top is clean as a whistle. I just realized that the top of the range comes off for cleaning so tomorrow I can take it off and work on it outside. So it's not so bad.

Likesspace

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 12:01:19 AM »
Sheesh Carter, I just saw this.....
That's a pretty major mess.
The next time I string a little wax over my wife's countertop I'll be sure to show her this post. That should get me off the hook.

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 02:51:24 AM »
Oh my! That is a good mess you've got there. Good luck hon!

Worlock

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 03:02:28 AM »
I make homemade candles, and a double boiler for wax is a must....

Shut up I'm a guy.  I can make candles too.  Bite me.