Author Topic: 1/2 gal glass milk bottles  (Read 5796 times)

McCreamy

1/2 gal glass milk bottles
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:55 PM »
Does anyone know a good place to get 1/2 gal glass milk bottles in WI? I'm at the point where I might just break down and buy the organic milk from the store that comes in the glass bottles. It costs $4 (or so) for a 1/2 gal + a $2 deposit. I might call them during my lunch break today to see if they would sell me some though. I haven't done that yet. I'm not having much luck online. I did find that I can get a case of 6 of them shipped to me for $35. I guess I thought I could find them cheaper. Do you have any suggestions?

Oberhasli

Re: 1/2 gal glass milk bottles
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »
Hi McCreamy,

Is this milk to be bottled for resale or just for you to keep in your fridge for your comsumption? I store my milk in 1/2 gallon mason jars (like the one used for canning).  I can only find these jars at Ace Hardware stores and they are usually glad to order them if they don't have them.  I buy plastic screw-lids to use instead of the metal ones it comes with.  I use these at home and recommend to anyone I might sell milk to, that it is a good way to store fresh milk.

Don't know if that helps.

Bonnie

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
I don't know precisely what is available in your area but in my area 1/2 gallon mason jars are readily available. We use them for our weekly milk run to the farm. They are the wide-mouth and lids and rings are always available. Why not search for a supplier of canning goods in your area.

McCreamy

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »
I appreciate the suggestion. The glass milk bottles are easier to pour for us. I just got a call back from the organic dairy that's about 30 mins away, and they sell them for $3. I'm going that route.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »
That's a good price! I know here we pay $2.50 for a deposit on the bottles.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
That's a great price - are they going to give you lids, too?  If they will only give you one lid per bottle, I can save you some lids from the milk for the cheese classes, as they just throw them away if you turn them in along with the bottles.

I saw your pm before I saw this, so you've got a couple of different answers now.

McCreamy

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »
They did include the lids. I even found a half off deal on a local website.

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
Share?  I could use a few more easy-to-pour from bottles.

stratocasterdave

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »
Here in Western WI, Crystal Ball Farms fills half gallon glass containers, FYI.  They are in Osceola.