Author Topic: Do I need calcium chloride if using skim and cream?  (Read 16513 times)

Shalloy

Re: Do I need calcium chloride if using skim and cream?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 05:38:25 AM »
Ive sprayed some distilled water all over both surfaces and the sides to really give it a good soaking and hopefully will absorb the moisture. I then gave the PC a rub and pat with my fingers. (The wife likes me doing that to her also   :) )

Heres what it looked like before I rubbed it in.

So once I get a full coverage of PC is that when the middle starts to soften?

bbracken677

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »
it will take a while, but yes.  If all goes well, in about 4 weeks you should have a lovely soft paste inside the rind.

Shalloy

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 07:00:46 AM »
These cams now have a nice covering of PC around the sides and almost a complete covering on both top and bottom surfaces. I broke a small piece off and noticed that they are already starting to go soft in the middle.  Isnt that a bit too early for them to being do this? I thought they had to be completely covered with PC before they would start to go soft??

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »
Ive sprayed some distilled water all over both surfaces and the sides to really give it a good soaking and hopefully will absorb the moisture. I then gave the PC a rub and pat with my fingers. (The wife likes me doing that to her also   :) )

I'd like to make a joke about the time differences of the middle softening on cams vs wives but I've only had one cup of tea and I just can't quite figure out how to be witty.  BUT, I can say that it's a sweet thought somehow that you are able to transfer your rubbing and patting techniques from wife care to cheese care and I bet your cheeses feel the love!   ;D

Shalloy

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 07:56:48 PM »

I'd like to make a joke about the time differences of the middle softening on cams vs wives but I've only had one cup of tea and I just can't quite figure out how to be witty.  BUT, I can say that it's a sweet thought somehow that you are able to transfer your rubbing and patting techniques from wife care to cheese care and I bet your cheeses feel the love!   ;D

Yes and coincedentally the rubbing and patting makes my wife go all soft and gooey on the inside as well.... :) What works for the missus works for the cams..

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »

Yes and coincedentally the rubbing and patting makes my wife go all soft and gooey on the inside as well.... :) What works for the missus works for the cams..

Yes, that's the thought that made me giggle and want to make a joke or pun.  Glad you got it!   ;D