Author Topic: Does anyone wash cheese with scotch?  (Read 1362 times)

xyztal

Does anyone wash cheese with scotch?
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:27:26 AM »
I have heard about cheese being washed by beer and cognac... I think even bourbon... but has anyone washed cheese with scotch?  Just curious ...

curd nerd

Re: Does anyone wash cheese with scotch?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:18:59 AM »
yes XYZTAL,,,,been doing that for almost 3 x years using whisky , not necessarily scotch,,,,,,,lt gives a very "grainy / dry "

effect,,,,,,,,,most pleasing !!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,being from CANADA why not try canadian club or any other rye style whisky

usually mix the spirit with a LITTLE olive oil to assist in adhesion and to slow evaporation

if you wish to try a scotch i would highly recommend something PEATY from the island of ISLAY,,,laphroaig,,,lagavulin,,

ardbeg,,,caol ila,,,bunnahabhain,,,bruchladdich or kilchoman,,,,,,,,the bold peatyness would be very synergistic with both

cheese  and the maltiness

good one !,,,,,,many regards ,,,,,,,brian

Tomer1

Re: Does anyone wash cheese with scotch?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »
It works just like any other washing, often the strength is diluted and some salt is added. changing these parameters will effect the rind flora.
I wouldnt use the expenssive stuff though.

I was thinking of soaking some toasted oak chips in vodka to use for a wash. that might give a nice dark color and some tannins to the rind for a unique texture.