Author Topic: Valençay question  (Read 1811 times)

Offline mgasparotto

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Cheesemaking, Homebrewing Librarian in Queens, NY
Valençay question
« on: February 11, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »
I made a batch of valençay about 10 days ago and wrapped them in clear cheese paper from New England Cheesemaking yesterday. I noticed this morning that there is some condensation inside the paper-should I unwrap these and wipe it off, or will it be okay?

JeffHamm

Re: Valençay question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
I would remove it.  That much water against the cheese will not be good for it.  PC doesn't like it to be too wet, and I would be very concerned that it will degrade and corrupt your rind. 

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »
Usually bloomy PC cheeses are wrapped in a breathable paper.  NE Cheesemaking has some white 2-layered paper for bloomies.  Forum member Iratherfly has some micro perf crystalline paper that is pretty transparent that I prefer.  It is 2-layered also.  You can PM him and ask for pricing since his website isn't up yet. 

Is the paper you used listed for bloomy cheese?

Offline mgasparotto

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Cheesemaking, Homebrewing Librarian in Queens, NY
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »
Yep, it's sold specifically for bloomy rinds, but this is the first time I've used it. I've used double layer paper before that has resulted in amoniated bloomies, so I wanted to try something different. Supposedly it's breathable, but it doesn't look that way to me! Anyway, I'll wipe them down and re-wrap. Thanks.