Author Topic: Brandnetel's White Mold Raw Goat's Milk Cheese #1  (Read 2627 times)

OudeKaas

Brandnetel's White Mold Raw Goat's Milk Cheese #1
« on: February 12, 2013, 02:02:45 AM »
So, on the way back to NYC from the western Catskills this past weekend, I finally managed to stop in at M & S Farm in Fallsburg NY. There I had the pleasure of meeting CheeseForum regular Steff and purchasing some of her raw goat's milk. What fun!

This wasn't really done with a plan in mind, so now I have some decision-making to do. I'm planning to make a 3.5 gallon batch of some kind of white mold cheese with it this weekend. Looking for suggestions from this august group!

Recently, as posted here, I have finally had really good success with a raw cow's milk Cam. So my first impulse was to just do the same with goat's milk for an interesting variation. However, Steph mentioned to me that she had had some difficulty using the raw milk to do so, and had gotten some advice from iratherfly about using different cultures, etc.

I haven't really done my research beyond that, style-wise. I have had Humboldt Fog and some similar things but am really looking into this for the first time now. What I have on hand is all from NEC and includes Meso and Thermo starters, PC, Geo, Flora Danica and B. Linens. So I am pretty much limited to that.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:37:54 AM by Brandnetel »

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Re: Brandnetel's White Mold Raw Goat's Milk Cheese #1
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Great to meet you Brandnetel!
I have actually made some wonderful raw goat milk Camembert but my struggle has been the 60 aging requirement to sell it raw.
I vote raw goat milk cam.

OudeKaas

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:09:03 AM »
Oh I got it now . . . I did not catch that nuance in our conversation. I can see how getting them to last ~8 weeks without getting overripe would be tough.

So, yeah. I guess I am sold on the raw goat Cam! I'm going to fire up the same recipe as my last batch, which was so nice, and just swap in your goat milk. Looking to do the make Sat, will post the details and update as I go along.

OudeKaas

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
OK, so since this is going to be a Cam now, I am going to discontinue this thread and move it to the Rennet Surface White mold board here.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:45:42 AM »
Had I seen this thread in time I would have recommended a Caerphilly.  The are easy, delicious and ripen quickly.....3 weeks is enough.  it's a nice entry into hard cheeses and works well with raw goat milk.  of course, Tommes are nice also.......