Author Topic: Raw Milk Buffalo Blue Cheese  (Read 2100 times)

nilo_669

Raw Milk Buffalo Blue Cheese
« on: February 13, 2013, 03:15:47 AM »
        Hi , its been a while since my last post. I made a buffalo blue cheese with a combination of Stilton and Danablue procedure , for me Stilton has a good curd texture while Danablue has a good appearance but generally i like flavor of both cheeses. before ive been making Externally molding cheese which has a lot of molding on the skin of the cheese , here in the Philippines appearance really counts. The first pictures is a 4 day old curd. On the 2nd day it was removed from the hoops , then remained at room temp. for another 2 days before hitting the aging room. The cheese is now on its 27th day as i type this one. will post the next picture on the 5th week , although i have a really small wheel for checking of the bluing process.

Tomer1

Re: Raw Milk Buffalo Blue Cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:07 AM »
Looks nice.  It takes a while to master the rind smoothening technique.  this will give you better outer apearance and more even ripening\veining rather then a random pattern.

I havent made danblu before, what elements did you borrow from that style?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:45:45 AM by Tomer1 »

nilo_669

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »
     Hi Tomer,  I prefer it that way rather than smoothing the outer layer.  For me its more Blue cheese  lol.  My reci[pe is Flora danica , M100 , Vegetable Rennet , and Raw Buffalo Milk. Milk was heated to 90 degree, let ferment then added rennet , cut and drained, cut the curd into small size, curds 2 days on the hoops , extenal salting for 2 days , then drying at room temp. for 1 day , then on to the cave , then i deprive the wheel with oxygen so as not to overwhelm the outer layer with blue mold.

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:46:15 AM »
fantastic looking cheese!

nilo_669

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »
                These are my old technique buffalo blue cheese , not happy with the appearance so i decided to do some research . I did peak at the larger wheel and saw slightly greenish blueing same as Danablue and was really happy with the outcome. Cant wait on the fifth week for the piercing so i could see the whole wheel . the smaller wheel looks a darker because i open the wrap several times just for that smell , its like when you have a date with your first girlfriend and would like to smell her all day long..... lol.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »
That's a nice looking cheese. Well done.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...