Author Topic: La Roche copy  (Read 2504 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
La Roche copy
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:25:14 AM »
Hi all.

I have been struggling to make a La Roche style cheese for nearly 12 months.  I either get a lovely texture with a lovely rind, and no blue inside, or a small amount of blue inside and a wildy blue/brown rind that tends to frighten the horses.  I have been making half cow half goat.  With 4L cream added to 80L milk. 

Rather than trying to analyse what I have been doing I've decided to start from scratch...

Any recipe suggestions?

Thanks.

NV

linuxboy

Re: La Roche copy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:42:06 AM »
Hard to do a clone without microfiltering the milk. Have you tried doing a cambozola type clone to start, spraying PC after a few weeks to finish?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:52:49 PM »
Hi Pav.  Yes a cambazola would be a good starting point.  I have talked about this on here before - this cheese has me snookered.  There are some critical control points I am missing and I don't know what they are.  Basically the curd is too soft and I am not getting any blueing.  I have decided to change blue to Danisco CB2 which is meant to be better for softer cheeses.  Can I think of this cheese as a standard camembert make that I stir for extra time to dry it out so I get more air pockets in the formed cheese?  Thanks.  NV.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »
How are you creating a shell around the curds to facilitate openings? Draining on a drain table or conveyor? Heating quickly?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:42:01 AM »
Well this is the issue I guess.  I am just stirring to dry the curds out so they don't mat together easily.  Maybe I need to heat.  I was tracking down the cam path but making at 36oC.  Maybe I should start lower and cook up higher.  To what temp and over what time frame do you think is best?

NV

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:49:04 AM »
If you want openings, you have to create the shell. You can be all fancy with the cultures, get the gas production, even use yeast, etc, but without that basic core step, blueing will not be reliable. A straight cam make will not work. It will be hit and miss in terms of openings. Agitation alone isn't enough. You either have to pump the curd on a moving conveyor and let that drainage do the work, like is done for gorg, or heat quickly by 8-10F degrees to firm up the curds before you hoop them.

Start at 86F, use a gassy culture (heterofermentives help here) blend, cook it fast after an initial heal+ stir (because you want the shell but not that much trapped moisture), and you should be set. Spray afterward, PC will grow on it. LaRoche uses uF milk, so it won't be the same, but similar.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:22:22 AM »
Ok.  Thanks.  I'll add the cooking step.  And I will pre-drain the curds before hooping.  NV.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 01:33:38 AM »
And use an aggressive blue. It needs to be in there and established by 10-12 days. That way you can spray with PC before too long while the rind is still clean. And once the PC blooms, by all means cold crash it to slow things down.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »
I have been using PRB6 but I understand CB2 is better for soft cheeses.  What do you think?