Author Topic: My cheese has frozen (Failed temp controller)  (Read 1480 times)

Shalloy

My cheese has frozen (Failed temp controller)
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:26:38 PM »
My temp controller has failed and my cheese (A couple of blues and some camemberts) ended up getting down to -7C (19F).

Will they survive this or is it bin time for them?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: My cheese has frozen (Failed temp controller)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
How old are they? What stage of ripening? How long were they frozen?

Shalloy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »
The blues are just over two weeks old, have a nice blue mould covering them. The cams were only 5 days old. Not sure how long they were at that temp. I came home from work and noticed the fridge was at -7C. There was ice in the maturation box the blues were uin which would have been colder than the cams because they were on the freezer side of the fridge. Im using a Waeco camping fridge that normally has removal dividers to seperate the freezer section from the chiller section with the dividers removed.
No sure what temp hey are at now as I had to disconnect the temp controller and set the fridge on low but I stayed out last night so havent been home yet.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »
Freezing will not kill the bacteria so I would proceed as normal and see what happens. You can probably expect some texture change but will still be edible.

Shalloy

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »
Thanks mate. That's good to know. It certainly seems ok now that its thawed out.