Author Topic: Cheep Curd Harp Idea  (Read 16198 times)

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
Cheep Curd Harp Idea
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:09:45 AM »
For the last couple of cheese that I have made I have used my new curd harp that I made.  It consists of stainless steel welding rods and fishing line.  I just bent the stainless steel ((like the picture)(Sorry for the bad drawing)) and then I tied fishing line on both sides.  At first I was concerned about cleaning it but then I found out that if you clean it right after you use it nothing sticks to it and if it does you can take the string off and put on new.  (I will post real pictures of it soon)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Cheep Curd Harp Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »
That looks great.  I want to make one that has pieces or fishing line going across as well as up and down.  Seems like it would work in a square pot but I haven't figured out how I'd use that concept in a round pot without still having some large chunks.  Some people use a whisk but that seems like it would cute drugging so small so I've been wondering about designing something like a whisk that might let me cut half inch curd.

Do you worry about the action of the acids on the welding rod?  (like would it leach any heavy metals into the milk?)

Look forward to photos whenever......love seeing what other forum members are inventing!   :)

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »
The tig welding rods That I use are stainless steel.  (At least that is what the welding shop told me) So it shouldn't affect it at all. 

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »
"Stainless" covers a lot of alloys.  Some better than others.  An inexpensive SS pot I use is showing corrosion and pitting, while a different one is not.  The one holding up better is a magnetic alloy, the other nonmagnetic.

I've forgotten most of the metallurgy I learned in college over 30 years ago, but if you post the alloy used perhaps we have someone who can suggest the best choice or if it really makes a difference since you will see in short order if there is any corrosion.  I'm thinking of something similar with single strand stainless leader wire.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
Cheese harps will not work if you try to do both vertical and horizontal on the same harp.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 04:12:03 AM »
This is the same sort of rod that used,  I havent had any problems with poor product or corrosion.  I am not sure what alloy they are. 

Also when I use this I usually use it only for a pre-cut After that I use a big wisk and or a knife. 

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 04:34:29 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas to make my design better?

When I was first trying to make it I wanted to weld the bars together but I found out that I couldn't without making alot of holes that would make it really hard to clean.  Like many I want one that would do horizontal and vertical but I haven't been able to think of a good way to do it. 

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 05:03:05 AM »
Working on it :D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

terry@dairy fab

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 05:04:14 AM »
Here is a picture of a dual wired knife that I build. Maybe you could do something like it, just on a smaller scale using fishing line.

terry@ Dairy Fab

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 05:09:46 AM »
That is an awsome curd knife.  I would love somthing like that. The only problem with one like that would be using it with my vat.  It has a cover in the center and the bottom is curved.   

george

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »
Cheese harps will not work if you try to do both vertical and horizontal on the same harp.
Out of curiousity, Sailor - why not?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 12:38:03 PM »
Here is a picture of a dual wired knife that I build. Maybe you could do something like it, just on a smaller scale using fishing line.

terry@ Dairy Fab

Terry,  That is SO cool!!!!   very nice and if I ever have a big enough tub for one of those I will definitely search you out to get one of those!   :D

Alpkäserei

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »

That is a cheese harp, the best design ever devised for hand use

mjr522

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 11:05:37 PM »
Alp--do you have higher resolution image of this?

terry@dairy fab

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »
Mike, I think his photo was similar to these.

terry@dairy fab