Author Topic: How long to ripen lactic bloomy  (Read 1818 times)

WovenMeadows

How long to ripen lactic bloomy
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
How long should I ripen a lactic-set bloomy-rind for? Made with cow's milk. I have one that I ripened in the "warm" fridge for about 10 days I suppose, to develop a nice white bloom, then wrapped in cheese wrap and placed in a normal fridge, maybe another 10 days so far. I'm not very familiar with this type - eating or making - so I'm not much sure what to expect. I imagine the paste won't soften in the same manner as a rennet-set brie or cam, right? Wondering what signs, if any, to look for. Thanks!

Offline kdttocs

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
Re: How long to ripen lactic bloomy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »
I suppose it depends on the style of the cheese. In some cases you're not trying to fully develop the pate you would in a Cam/Brie. I usually just see the first layer under the rind ripen a bit and the center doesn't change. I think about 2 weeks in colder temp after bloom is complete is expected.

margaretsmall

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:51:34 PM »
It's said that semi-lactics don't soften, but the one I made a couple of weeks ago. 2l cream line milk made three little ones on Feb. 1. I cut the last about a week ago and it was quite runny. So I'd start eating yours now. I really like this cheese, quick and easy to make, and good to eat.
Margaret

WovenMeadows

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:47:54 AM »
Yes, it did get soft, rather, quite runny right near the surface. Quite strong too, I didn't really care for it so fed it to the chickens :)  Good to know for the future!