Author Topic: Pre-ripening with raw and pasteurized milk  (Read 2584 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Pre-ripening with raw and pasteurized milk
« on: February 16, 2013, 01:15:53 AM »
I had previously raised the question of blending raw and pasteurized milk, due to the raw milk being so expensive in my area. In a class today, I have an answer from the teacher (Peter Dixon) that seems to make sense to me. What I think I heard is to treat it like pre-ripening. Blend the milks together, then let them rest at 50 degrees (not room temperature) for about 12 hours. I would think the amount of starter used might need to be less...?
Susan

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Pre-ripening with raw and pasteurized milk
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:00:56 AM »
Only if you REALLY trust your raw milk. Yes, you reduce your starter by 25% or more.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:46:07 AM »
It depends on the purpose of using raw milk. Are you:
- Using it for NSLAB? Need a different approach than the 50F pre-ripen. Eg, thermize, culture separately at 100F for NSLAB, co-culture in the make.
- Using it for SLAB? 50F is not ideal. There are better ways if you want to target SLAB growth (like working with bacteria-heavy top cream separately and culturing it more and using as co-inoculant).
- Using it to help overcome solids issues? No need to wait then
- Using it to help overcome protein damage for a better set? No need to wait.
- Using it to increase indigenous lipases and proteases? No need to wait.
- Using it to overall increase the raw milk flavors (non bacteriological). No need to wait.
- Using it to help break down some casein slowly and drop pH a little in prep for bloomies? 50F overnight is perfect here, as you're imitating natural processes for something like a Camembert de Normandie. But for other cheeses, it might not be optimal... depends on your goal for using the raw milk.

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 06:53:39 AM »
Hi Susan,
 If I remember right, the 50F was to limit the potential for psychrotrophic bacteria while allowing the natural beneficials to continue developing, albeit quite slowly.  You might have to play around a bit to see where your pH is after the "pre-ripen".  At least then you might make a better guess as to how much to back off the SLAB cultures.   

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:15:14 AM »
limit the potential for psychrotrophic bacteria while allowing the natural beneficials to continue developing,
many psychrotrophs grow to 90-ish. e.g. listeria goes to about 100F. 50F is about the lower end for leuconostocs, some lactococci, and some mesophilic lactobacilli. More an outcompete scenario for inhibition.

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:08:56 AM »
Are there any that thrive better at the lower temperatures? I guess that's the question I should have asked Peter rather than settle for a blanket statement.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 02:42:58 AM »
Any pathogens? Both e coli and listeria continue at refrigeration temps. Any LAB? Leuconostocs keep going at the lower end. But none do better exactly. More so they tolerate and persist as opposed to being completely inhibited.