Author Topic: using artists charcoal for cheese  (Read 5905 times)

Ross

using artists charcoal for cheese
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:47:38 PM »
Is it possible to use some artists charcoal, ground down, and used for cheeses such as Mobier, or should I make my own from vegetables or wood?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: using artists charcoal for cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44:13 PM »
Ideally it should be ash made from burning grape vines.  I wouldn't use artist charcoal but it may be alright.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:14:29 AM »
I agree with Al.
I wouldn't use it as I don't know what sort of wood it has been made from or if it has been treated to stabilise it in any way.

-Bill
One day I will add something here...

curd nerd

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:44:39 AM »
if you go to a home brew shop you can buy activated carbon , sometimes called activated charcoal

this is no doubt a food grade product as it is used to filter potable spirit  , it usually comes in granular or pellet form

should be plenty of it as home distilling is legal in N.Z. ,,,don't think we could find any of the above in shops in OZ, [ sic ]as

home distilling is allegedly not permitted but we are allowed to own a still to purify water or distil flavours

using A.C. as an ash would raise the pH of your cheese slightly

* BILL ,,,,we had some rain last night and our chooks had a gorgeous meal of SCHNECKEN's

many regards,brian

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:48:32 AM »
I use the charcoal that is used for poison treatment or upset stomachs.  it's what the cheese place sells for cheese.   I mix 1 Tablespoon of that with 5 Tablespoons of salt and dust the cheeses with that.

I'd think that artist charcoal might have binders in it.  Ick!

Ross

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:04:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will have a look at some of the local brew shops for charcoal/activated carbon as I have been unable to find any on the cheese supply web sites here in NZ, maybe I am searching for it using the wrong name for food grade ash?

bbracken677

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »
I use the charcoal that is used for poison treatment or upset stomachs.  it's what the cheese place sells for cheese.   I mix 1 Tablespoon of that with 5 Tablespoons of salt and dust the cheeses with that.

I'd think that artist charcoal might have binders in it.  Ick!

While I am not planning on making any ash based cheeses anytime soon, I am wondering where you get yours from? Is this something that would be carried at a walgreen's, for example?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
I got mine from Cheesemaking.com and have given some to various people because it doesn't get used up very fast.  I keep a jar of ash and salt mix to use and remake as necessary.  Here's a photo of what mine looks like.  It came with a piece of paper about using it wrapped around it. 

bbracken677

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »
Thanks!  I dont believe I have ever seen anything that looked like that in walgreens, but then again, I wasnt looking for it either. I also, according to the wife, have an iron stomach. Very little upsets it and as a result I dont spend much time in that section

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »
Try Amazon next time you're ordering a book or whatever.  maybe they'll have it and you can save on shipping.  Or try at a discount supplement/body care online store such as herb.com or vitacost.com. Both are good places and you can get soap, shampoos, teas, etc and orders over a certain low amount have free shipping.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 05:44:46 AM »
good quality artist charcoal is made from willow, and the best ones are straight coal without binders as this affects the properties
willow is use d because it is soft and therefore easy to control

margaretsmall

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
Pharmacies and supermarkets in Australia carry activated charcoal tablets for treating intestinal discomfort. Reasonably priced.
As I was scraping my burnt toast this morning, I looked at the result and thought....charcoal. Could you use this I wonder?
Margare

Rock

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »
Hi All,

I'm looking for an online supplier of small quantity of vegetable ash in the UK?

Any leads would be much appreciated,

Rock