Author Topic: Red Leicester  (Read 2310 times)

stuartjc

Red Leicester
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:55:27 AM »
Because I am aware of the problems with the Ricki Carroll book, I thought I'd run this past the fine people here to sanity check the recipe!

2 gallons whole milk
1 packet direct set mesophilic starter or 4ozs prepared starter
2 drops colouring per gallon, diluted in 1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 tsp liquid rennet or 1/2 tablet diluted in 1/4 cup cool, unchlorinated water
2tbsp cheese salt

Heat the milk to 85f, add the starter and mix well. Cover and allow to ripen for 45 minutes.
Add the colouring, stir to distribute.
Add the rennet and stir gently with an up and down motion for several minutes. Cover and allow to set at 85f for another 45 minutes.
Cut the curd. Stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
Heat the curds to 95f, increasing the temperature by no more than 2f per 5 minutes. Stir gently to prevent matting. Maintain the curds at 95f for 30 minutes, stirring gently to prevent matting.
Pour the curds into a colander and let them drain for 20 minutes.
Place the mass of curd on a draining board and cut into 2 inch lnong slices to drain. Lay the slices on the draining board and cover them with a clean towel, which should occasionally be placed in a bowl of 96f water then wrung dry. Turn the slices every 20 minutes for 1 hour.
Break the slices into nickel sized pieces and place them in a bowl. Stir for several minutes. Add 2tbsp of the salt and gently stir for several minutes longer.
Place curds in a cheese cloth lined mold and press at 15lbs for 30 minutes.
Remove the cheese from the mold and gently peel away the cheese cloth. Turn and press at 30lbs for 2 hours.
Repeat the process, pressing at 50lbs for 24 hours.
Remove cheese from mold. Dust the cheese with the remaining salt and shake of any excess. Air dry at room temp for 2-5 days or until it is dry to the touch, then wax.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Red Leicester
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:28:33 AM »
I'm working on my own cheese right now and don't have the concentration to discect this right now but right off the bat make sure to use YOUR rennet's instructions for amount not Ricki's book. Remember that some recipes use less rennet such as Camembert and Stilton, but if it uses regular amounts then use the amount the rennet manuf. suggests.

Ron173

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:11:23 AM »
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to cheese making and made a few hard cheeses, and I'm about to embark on my first red leicster, and i note the above recipe with interest.

My question is about the whole packet of mesophilic starter?

I previously used a 'smidgen' teaspoon which is supposed to be enough for 10ltrs.

So I'm a bit concerned that I may use too much.

If I use a whole packet, I cant find a gm size on the packet but its supposed to be good for 10! doses, and 1 dose does 10ltrs milk.

I would be much much obliged if someone could advise before i stuff up a good cheese.

Many many thanks in advance

Rgds
Ron

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:33:20 PM »
Depends on your starter. Different suppliers have different activity levels. You should use what they suggest, not what's in the recipes.

Ricki Carroll sells little packets of starter and you DO dump the whole packet in. BUT, that depends on the volume of milk that you are using. Read the instructions on your starter, or call your supplier. Cheese folks are generally very helpful.

If in doubt, it's generally better to use a little less than too much.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »
Ricci packages her stuff based on her recipes. A packet form Ricci is NOT the same as a packet from say Dairy Conneton or Danlac. As Sailor stated read the package instructions!

zenith1

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »
I agree with Debi and Sailor's responses. Also if you really want to color your cheese two drops probably will not do it for you.