Author Topic: In need of some press help  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
In need of some press help
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
My dad and his friend build a hydrolic press for me.  But they didn't know what it takes to press cheese (slow and steady).  So I am trying to figure out a way that I can use the hydrolic press and still make it work (if it is possible). 

The only idea I had was to use some sort of springs to make it so that it would keep pressure on it?  Does anyone have any ideas. 

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
Re: In need of some press help
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:53:14 AM »
Maybe you could rig it to hang a weight on the pump handle to keep the pressure on the curds even though they compress a little.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:12:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply I will definetly keep that idea in mind. 

The only problem with that is the motor has a tendency to get a little hot if it is kept on for a long period of time. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:10:39 AM by Chetty »

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:18:59 PM »
Can you add a fan to help keep the motor cool?  Even a desk fan would help.

Is it really hydraulic or pneumatic? If hydraulic be sure to take precautions that a leak doesn't come in contact with any food surfaces.

Your dad could add an accumulator between the pump and the cylinder. It could be just a section of pipe to store the pressure. Takes a bit to charge but with a check valve and a pressure switch you could charge the system and the motor would shut down while the accumulator holds the pressure on the cheese.  If Dad needs a sketch of the concept let me know.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »
What Bob said, I think. Needs a balance tank (and valve) to hold that pressure. Then it will keep applying that pressure with the motor off.  More complex still would be to set it up to have the motor kick on at a minimum pressure and kick off at a maximum pressure. That's how our bought ones work.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
Seems pretty involved for what you really want to accomplish. Hang a 2"x4" off a stud in the garage, fasten another to it for a vertical piston, and fasten a weight to the end...start pressing cheese. No fans, no hydraulic leaks, no pressure, no hassle. ;) Sorry, Dad.

...or buy one of the wonderful, magical Dutch presses mentioned in this forum. 8)

You have one for sale, don't you smolt1?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Scott Wallen

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
I always wanted to build a Rube Goldberg type press, ...if I had mor room :)

BobE102330

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
My son is into steam punk. Maybe I should get him to build me a press.

Realistically, Chetty, you're going to have a hard time with a hydraulic press if you want to go commercial. Potential for the fluif contaminating the cheese is huge. Pneumatic is the way to go if you're heading commercial.

How about a reverse Dutch press to deposed the hydraulic ram?  Attach the ram close to the pivot and the pressed foot at the end of the arm. That would keep your ram well away from the cheese. Use a box beam for the lever pivoted on the wall behind your current press.

All this activity why you were sleeping.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »
Thanks for all the wonderful thoughts,  I will have to try some of them.  I also have a off the wall press I built with pipe.  It works but It takes enough pressure that it started to pull throught the wall.  Does anyone have any press plans for a press that can press six or so 8 inch by 6 inch molds.  If I can't get the hydrolics to work I think I will try somthing a little bit bigger and better. 

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
If I was to use an air ram, what is the smallest one I would be able to use.  (I am sick today and my brain is not working to do the math)

BobE102330

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:52 AM »
Try to rework your off the wall press so that it is solidly into the studs  You should be able to to anchor it sturdily enough not to pull off.

If you're going to stack 6 molds 6" high, I'd shoot for at least a foot of stroke in the cylinder if not 18.  Piston diameter depends on how much air pressure you have available and how much pressure you are looking to achieve at the cheese.  If you have 150 psi air and a 2" diameter piston you'll end up with a bit over 9 psi at the cheese.  The force generated is proportional to the square of the area, so 150 psi air with a 3" piston will get you over 20 psi on the cheese and 37 psi with a 4" piston. 

As for plans, your Dad seems to have hit it pretty well with the current design.  You'll need some way to keep the molds aligned under pressure. and a frame that will take the forces generated by pressing.  With an 8" mold, you'll need 50 pounds of pressure to generate each psi on the cheese.  Someone on the board made a pneumatic press, search for it an it should give you an idea.  You'll just need to make it taller to hold 6 molds and allow for the stroke. 

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
hey Chetty,  hope you feel better soon.  I do think a simple lever arm press makes the most sense.  Maybe someone can post the link to the thread that shows Sailor's setup?  I'm using my iPad and haven't figured out how to grab links and post them elsewhere yet.  Sailor's set up would be worth looking at and showing to your dad and his friend.  His vat set up, presses, etc will make any tinkering type person excited.

I like the wooden press my dad made me.  There are photos on a thread I started on the appropriate board with a title that is something like "Press my Dad made".  If you like that and want the design let me know and I can send it to you.  he's an retired engineer with a wood shop so the design is well thought out.  Although mine won't currently take six molds I bet the design could be adjusted.  he'd probably be willing to do a design change for you if you needed the specs to deal with increased height. 

Your off the wall one sounds workable if you can deal with the attachment issues.  Good luck!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 02:29:30 PM »
Seems to me there are a few unasked questions hanging in the air. ???
  • Are you making cheese now?
  • If you are currently making cheeses, what is the process/equipment that you are using and is it not up to the task?
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, Chetty, it just seems like this is a project in search of an application. Please correct me if I'm off-base.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
Seems to me there are a few unasked questions hanging in the air. ???
  • Are you making cheese now?
  • If you are currently making cheeses, what is the process/equipment that you are using and is it not up to the task?
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, Chetty, it just seems like this is a project in search of an application. Please correct me if I'm off-base.

-Boofer-

Boofer, I think you missed his introduction thread.  He's making 80 gallon batches and has the beginning of a very nice set up.  At such a young age!  We should all be so lucky!!   :D