Author Topic: Records Journal/Log - Advice  (Read 3329 times)

Salilah

Records Journal/Log - Advice
« on: February 16, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
My apologies firstly - I'm sure this will have been asked before, I did search but couldn't find it!

What sort of records do you keep of your cheese making?
I'm pretty organised for my sourdough breadmaking, as I use a pretty standard method, so I just have a spreadsheet that shows ingredients and proportions, plus any other comments

I definitely need something, as I'm doing one cheese (1-2 litres of milk) a week, and I'm now getting worried as if I find a cheese I like, I won't be able to replicate! (and this is before I get all my new cultures :-))

Any suggestions much appreciated
thanks
Salilah

hoeklijn

Re: Records Journal/Log - Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
Hi Salilah,

to start with: Make a copy of the recipe you are using. Modify the amounts, times and temperatures to the actual values that you have when making the cheese and put a date on the note. Also use this copy to write down every "anomaly" you encounter while making the cheese.
I coat my pressed cheeses (like Gouda's) and on the second layer of coating I stick a label when the coating is still wet and I finish this with a transparent coating.
What cheeses are you making? When they're all the same it's more difficult to identify them....

Salilah

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »
Hi - thanks for ideas!
I'm mainly doing camembert styles - some are cows milk, some with some goat, milk from different supermarkets (sadly that's all we've got) - I gues the main variation is timing on things (and errors!)
cheers
S

hoeklijn

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »
Yes, when you are making Cams a label on the coating is not such a good idea  ^-^.
What you could do is to make a couple of numbered cards, laminate them, write down the number on your notes and stick the card under the cheese in your cave...

Salilah

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »
<grin> it wouldn't quite look the same!

I found a post that had a small chart of things, which looked quite useful - however I think also an idea of the detailed timing might be good
I'll definitely think further on this!
S

(currently have 1 camembert in wrap in a box which I think is 5 or 6 weeks, one pyramid in wrap which is 4 or 5 weeks, one which I think was half goat milk and half cow milk which is furry and still in a clip-lok type box in the fridge, and two new ones I did this weekend which are in clip-lok boxes on the table in the little barn / hobbies building which is roughly 8C-12C this time of year (though it may get colder)
Cave not yet  :(

shotski

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
My apologies firstly - I'm sure this will have been asked before, I did search but couldn't find it!

What sort of records do you keep of your cheese making?
I'm pretty organised for my sourdough breadmaking, as I use a pretty standard method, so I just have a spreadsheet that shows ingredients and proportions, plus any other comments

I definitely need something, as I'm doing one cheese (1-2 litres of milk) a week, and I'm now getting worried as if I find a cheese I like, I won't be able to replicate! (and this is before I get all my new cultures :-))

Any suggestions much appreciated
thanks
Salilah

Hi Salilah, I came across the cheese making log sheet that I plan on using. I found the website very interesting as well.

Salilah

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »
Thanks shotski - will investigate!
I also checked my book (Caldwell) and they have some logs which I might adapt in Excel
cheers!
S

Alpkäserei

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
When making a cheese that you know well, one that you make a lot and which you are successful at, it is more work than is needed to keep detailed notes on the make, but you still should track certain steps of the process and other variables.

Here is the record sheet we were required to use in Switzerland for our AOC cheeses.

This keeps track of:
Milk temperature of both evening and morning milk.
Milk qty
acidity of culture (whey culture)
culture appearance, smell, and flavor
amount of culture added

temperature when rennet is added
time to coagulation
time from start of cutting curd to warming of the curd
cooking temperature
cooking time
stirring time after cooking

temperature that held over whey is heated to (to produce culture for next day)
Temperature whey is flash cooled to
initials of cheeseaker.

Notes on weather conditions.

With a little bit of knowledge, this chart is actually detailed enough to reconstruct the recipe we use.

Salilah

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »
Thanks Alpkäserei!
I'm still very much at the beginner end - one camembert a week!  But I like the idea - much appreciated!