Author Topic: 'Milky' pasteurizer anyone?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline xyztal

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
'Milky' pasteurizer anyone?
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »
Hi there,

I am thinking of getting this 'pasteurizer'/cheese vat to make some cheese this summer ...

http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/Mr.-Milky-Pasteurizer.html

Anyone got one?  How do you like it?  The price seems competitive (I pay just a little less for a home pasteurizer in Canada)...

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Tomer1

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 33
  • Default personal text
Re: 'Milky' pasteurizer anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:01 AM »
The temp range is not suitable as a vat (40c is the lowest setting), also how are you planning to cool down the milk once you finished with heat treating?
Amatuar winemaker,baker, cook and musician
not in any particular order.

Offline xyztal

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:21:38 PM »
Right!!!! Thanks Tomer1 for pointing that out - I didn't even see that...

This year we are just trying out with sheep milk so we only expect to get about 4L at day... so I was just thinking of putting it in a milk jug and then jug to the fridge.... ? (I am feeling a bit silly as I am typing this....)

Offline Tomer1

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 33
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:07 AM »
Well... with 4 lt\day I would perhaps cool enough milk for 12-14L batchs, maybe even mix with some cows milk (if you can buy locally) for bulk. Espacially if your doing an elaborate recipe which requires a few hours of your time.
Amatuar winemaker,baker, cook and musician
not in any particular order.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 70
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:33:36 AM »
I looked at that pasteurizer after reading your first post on this thread and I thought that I read it has an inner liner pot that the milk goes into.  If so you could just lift that out, put it in a sink or tub of cold water and it would chill.  Especially if you circulated the water with an aquarium pump or something.  I've heard of folks using a pump llike this to cool fresh milk fast enough for grade A standards.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline xyztal

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
I looked at the 'Milky' pasteurizer again after I sent the post last night.  Looks like they have a water filling hose where you fill cold water in to cool down the milk after pasteurization.  Too bad the picture itself on the website doesn't show a whole lot.... and doesn't say whether the water filling hose comes with the product.  *SIGH* time to email the company and find out...

In the meantime, Glengarry carries this pasteurizer <http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/new.htm>   Maybe the single function 8-L one is good enough for now? 

(Again, we are just trying things out this year.... when I told people in this area that I am going to milk sheep - they gave me this shocked look and said "you milk WHAT?"  I might as well tell him I am going to milk Llama...)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 70
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
Hmmm, maybe you should get some yaks to milk also!  Then the sheep idea would start to feel tame to them!   ;)