Author Topic: 'Milky' pasteurizer anyone?  (Read 5421 times)

xyztal

'Milky' pasteurizer anyone?
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:37:41 AM »
Hi there,

I am thinking of getting this 'pasteurizer'/cheese vat to make some cheese this summer ...

http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/Mr.-Milky-Pasteurizer.html

Anyone got one?  How do you like it?  The price seems competitive (I pay just a little less for a home pasteurizer in Canada)...

Tomer1

Re: 'Milky' pasteurizer anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
The temp range is not suitable as a vat (40c is the lowest setting), also how are you planning to cool down the milk once you finished with heat treating?

xyztal

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 02:21:38 AM »
Right!!!! Thanks Tomer1 for pointing that out - I didn't even see that...

This year we are just trying out with sheep milk so we only expect to get about 4L at day... so I was just thinking of putting it in a milk jug and then jug to the fridge.... ? (I am feeling a bit silly as I am typing this....)

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »
Well... with 4 lt\day I would perhaps cool enough milk for 12-14L batchs, maybe even mix with some cows milk (if you can buy locally) for bulk. Espacially if your doing an elaborate recipe which requires a few hours of your time.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
I looked at that pasteurizer after reading your first post on this thread and I thought that I read it has an inner liner pot that the milk goes into.  If so you could just lift that out, put it in a sink or tub of cold water and it would chill.  Especially if you circulated the water with an aquarium pump or something.  I've heard of folks using a pump llike this to cool fresh milk fast enough for grade A standards.

xyztal

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
I looked at the 'Milky' pasteurizer again after I sent the post last night.  Looks like they have a water filling hose where you fill cold water in to cool down the milk after pasteurization.  Too bad the picture itself on the website doesn't show a whole lot.... and doesn't say whether the water filling hose comes with the product.  *SIGH* time to email the company and find out...

In the meantime, Glengarry carries this pasteurizer <http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/new.htm>   Maybe the single function 8-L one is good enough for now? 

(Again, we are just trying things out this year.... when I told people in this area that I am going to milk sheep - they gave me this shocked look and said "you milk WHAT?"  I might as well tell him I am going to milk Llama...)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:32:53 PM »
Hmmm, maybe you should get some yaks to milk also!  Then the sheep idea would start to feel tame to them!   ;)