Author Topic: Stilton Style (First), Question  (Read 12868 times)

rolsen99

Re: Stilton Style (First), Question
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 03:32:37 PM »
UPDATE:  I decided to pierce this morning, as it is at about 4 weeks old.  I pierced though the sides.  The inside is very creamy, smells of a mild blue, and tastes like what I would guess a young blue tastes like.  It has a subtle blue creamy flavor.  I am expecting that as it ages, it will continue to increase in flavor. 

The smell of the white mold still overpowers the blue smell from the outside of the cheese.  I was relieved that the inside was straight blue smells.

If you zoom in on the up close picture, you can see how creamy it is.  Does that look right?  How long before I should re-pierce?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
Looks great to me.  From your description I'd say you are right on target with everything.  Keep an eye on the holes and make sure they don't get filled with mold.  If they do then re-pierce them.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

rolsen99

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
Is it common for the holes to fill with mold?  Is it usually outside molds, or the PR?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
Sometimes the outside molds will fill the openings and block the air from entering.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2013, 07:38:47 PM »
The holes are to let air in so the PR can grow inside to give you the veining.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

rolsen99

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 02:55:22 AM »
Well, with all the success on the forum with the blues lately, I guess there had to be a failure....here it is.  I made a slurry from a Stilton.  As reported from the beginning, there was very little PR that ever showed.  Throughout the process, the smell was overwhelmingly not PR.  The white mold was creating the smell, and ultimately that is what it kind of tasted like.  There is little to no blue flavor, and what flavor is there is awful / strong / sharp / biting.  Not quite sure how to describe it.  I did keep it loosely covered throughout aging, removing it daily for about 30 minutes.  As you can see, there is zero veining.  Maintained 55 F, and about 85% humidity (plus whatever is was in it's container).

This weekend, I will create a 4 gallon Stilton copy, using my new pH meter, and PR powder.  Any suggestions to help this one be successful is appreciated.  What a bummer!!! :'(

shotski

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 03:14:19 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Stilton Roslen. How much Stilton did you use to make the slurry? I have read about the using of slurry but I have always used PR. ( always being twice :D)

rolsen99

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 03:24:31 AM »
It was maybe an ounce or and ounce and a half.  The blue just never really got going.  I will be using powder from now on...no doubt.

Reino

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »
Hi Rolsen, sorry to hear about your stilton...

I've been using slurry so far making my stiltons (two of them :). Both have had good blue showing up inside. For the slurry I've used only the really blue parts of original stilton. Mixed them with a little bit of milk and let them stay for an hour or so before mixing with the make.

Hope your next Stilton is a success!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
Hey Rolsen, I looked back in page one of this thread where you have the slurry mixed in with the milk. You can see flecks of blue throughout the milk so the level of blue you added wouldn't seem to be the problem. The curds going into the mould seemed too large and too moist. If, when you pierced, the holes closed up, that would prevent the necessary air from reaching the inner blue in the paste. That seems like a possible cause for the lack of blue veining.

I wouldn't give up on the slurry idea. I have found success with it, as have others on the forum. The neat thing with that technique is that you can grab a genuine blue from a favorite commercial cheese. Try to use just the most saturated blue paste when you make the slurry.

If nothing else, you can grab the link address here and post a connection to my recent thread, Failures I Have Known. ;)

The silver lining to this is there's always more milk to try it again. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rolsen99

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 03:40:14 AM »
Boofer,

I had a good feeling the blue wasn't forming while watching the other member threads, so I had purchased some powder in preparation for my next make.  You are right, there is always more milk, and I will be converting it to a blue this weekend :).