Author Topic: Blue Cheese Disaster?  (Read 2198 times)

CharlotteH

Blue Cheese Disaster?
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
Hi all

I have completed my first attempt at making blue cheese and followed my recipe as close as possible. According to the recipe the cheese was ready to be tasted yesterday. When I opened the wrapping I was both disappointed and baffled at the result. With this post I was hoping that someone could be able to point out what I may have done wrong.

The cheese developed a blue/green mold according to the time schedule.
I poked holes through it as explained (should have made many more holes).
I wrapped it in the cheese wrapping as the recipe said.

Now the outside of the cheese has both blue/green and white mold. Around the edges, inside the outer "crust" the cheese is liquid. When I cut through it the texture is like a Roquefort throughout (except the edges). The cheese looks like ice cream with a green coating :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Blue Cheese Disaster?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »
Oooh, sorry, Charlotte. :(

Can you tell us what recipe you followed and some details of your process? That will help you get the information to determine what went wrong.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
What type of blue was this supposed to be?  Cambozola?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
Looks like a very nice Blue Brie.  Hope it tastes great even if it's not what you were aiming at.   :D

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
How does it taste?  I have yet to tackle a cambozola, but if I follow the routine I use on my cams then I will not be wrapping until ripe. As long as you maintain the proper affinage conditions (50-52F, and 95% RH) then there is no need to wrap until they are ripe and ready to be placed in the fridge for storage at 37F ish temps.

CharlotteH

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
It is supposed to be a Castello type blue cheese and I have not dared to taste it as I am afraid it is spoiled.

This is a recipe from a Danish company where I purchased a set containing all the rennet and cultures needed.

The Cheese starter, rennet and culture were added in the first stages as described in all recipies
After the whey has drained in room temperature for about a day and the pH was ched to be less than 5 the cheeses were sprinkled with a little salt on all sides and placed in a room with 7 degrees C and very high humidity. The cheeses were turned once a day.
After about 3-5 days the holes were made, no mould had yet developed. After 2-3 weeks the mould had developed and the cheeses were green. There were then wrapped in the wrapping paper included in the kit and stored in the refrigirator the remaining time. They were supposed to be ready after a total of 5-6 weeks.

Here's a photo of how they looked after 2 weeks.