Author Topic: Pressing cheese  (Read 2459 times)

Shalloy

Pressing cheese
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:56:19 AM »
So from what Ive read would I be right in saying that you cant make harder cheeses using the moulds that have a bottom to them like I do blues and cams?
Because you need to turn them and press both sides?  Just making sure I got that right.

I have some blues and cams in the cave at the moment but as soon as I can move them to my keg fridge and age them at 3C I want to try a hard cheese. Just have to get some hoops I suppose and make a cheese press.

stinkymccheese

Re: Pressing cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
Lots of us use molds with bottoms to make hard cheeses, we just remove the cheese from the mold,  flip it and redress it with the cheesecloth and put it back into the mold for pressing.

Hope this helps.

sdb

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:06:08 PM »
You dont want to move your cams and blues into that cold a temp until they are fully ripened. You want to maintain 11C until ripened and then move them into cold storage.

Shalloy

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
You dont want to move your cams and blues into that cold a temp until they are fully ripened. You want to maintain 11C until ripened and then move them into cold storage.

So with the cams fully ripened is when they are completly covered with PC? Or once they are covered with PC and the inside is soft?

Also how do you tell when the blues are fully ripened? My instructions just say to scrape all the mould off after about a month and then wrap and move to 3C for 3-4 months.

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:24 PM »
As far as the cams go...at about 4 weeks (provided PC coverage began within just a few days of removal from the molds) they should be softened sufficiently to be considered ripe. At that point is when I move them to the fridge. In the colder fridge they will last longer as that slows down the development severely. If you move them too early they will take much longer to ripen, if at all.

As far as blues go...I have much less experience with those, but if you want mold to grow, it will grow better in a 50-55F range than at 37F. I usually age them in my cave the proscribed time (which is about 6 weeks for the stiltons I have made).

For the blues, as I said, I have much less experience and only one real success, so I am more reluctant to offer advice there...You should check out the various makes and recipes available in the forum for advice and guidance there.

Shalloy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »
Cheers mate,,, thanks one again for the advice.