Author Topic: Tomme # 1  (Read 10091 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Tomme # 1
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 12:43:31 AM »
Boofer's done a fair number of cheeses with PLA so he can give you a better description of the wash schedule, but in short, you should wash the stinky feet! :)
I would agree with Jeff. The PLA has two variations of linens and likes to be washed a bit and aired out a bit.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

CWREBEL

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:12:42 AM »
3% brine with more PLA in the wash? Mycodore too?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
Just keep washing with your brine every other day. Remember to take it out and let it have half an hour or so every day or two.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

CWREBEL

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »
Well, after a week of regular washing, b. linens has decided to join the party. The rind is wrinkling up a little bit, but isn't wet or tacky, just slightly moist and clammy. I'll probably back off the wash schedule to a couple times a week.

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
Ooooo!  Looking good!

- Jeff

CWREBEL

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »
The little petri dish is smelling good too!

Watching the rind develop is pretty fascinating. At this point how much am I controlling and manipulating what the final cheese will become?

Hypothetically, if I were to stop washing completely and drop the humidity could I expect another culture to bloom? Thus changing the profile of the cheese again? Or have I already decided it's fate by washing and inviting b. linens?

CWREBEL

Re: Tomme # 1 - Update!
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
At 5 weeks old, the rind is really coming along  O0. I stopped washing a week ago and the geo has come back with a vengeance. So far I'm happy with the progress.

At this stage should I be brushing the geo off on occasion or let it run wild?

CWREBEL

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »
Here's a pic of the flipside.

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »
Hi,

Looks good.  I think I would brush the geo back every so often myself, but you might want to wait until some of the more experienced complex rind gardeners developers have a chance to make some suggestions.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 02:19:27 AM »
I'd rub it or brush it down. You're not trying to make a Cam or Brie here, right? ;)

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

CWREBEL

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
Nope, just hoping to get a natural rind of some sort. Being my first aged cheese, I just wanted a little input from the experts!  :)

hoeklijn

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 04:01:14 PM »
As far as I can see this on is turning out to be a success. A cheese for you for this result so far...

CWREBEL

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »
Thanks Herman.

CWREBEL

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »
According to Pav, what I have described as geo growth is most likely mycodore, in his opinion. It seems to be happy and self sustaining at this time.  I will probably begin to brush it back on occasion, and maybe even wash every once in a while, but for the most part, I think I'm going to let this little guy do his thing. They grow up so fast...  :'( .... ;D

CWREBEL

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
Here are the results of brushing a couple times over the past week. Seems to be keeping things in check nicely.