Tomme # 1

Started by CWREBEL, February 22, 2013, 04:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boofer

Quote from: JeffHamm on March 04, 2013, 10:18:33 PM
Boofer's done a fair number of cheeses with PLA so he can give you a better description of the wash schedule, but in short, you should wash the stinky feet! :)
I would agree with Jeff. The PLA has two variations of linens and likes to be washed a bit and aired out a bit.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

CWREBEL

3% brine with more PLA in the wash? Mycodore too?

Boofer

Just keep washing with your brine every other day. Remember to take it out and let it have half an hour or so every day or two.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

CWREBEL

Well, after a week of regular washing, b. linens has decided to join the party. The rind is wrinkling up a little bit, but isn't wet or tacky, just slightly moist and clammy. I'll probably back off the wash schedule to a couple times a week.

JeffHamm

Ooooo!  Looking good!

- Jeff

CWREBEL

The little petri dish is smelling good too!

Watching the rind develop is pretty fascinating. At this point how much am I controlling and manipulating what the final cheese will become?

Hypothetically, if I were to stop washing completely and drop the humidity could I expect another culture to bloom? Thus changing the profile of the cheese again? Or have I already decided it's fate by washing and inviting b. linens?

CWREBEL

At 5 weeks old, the rind is really coming along  O0. I stopped washing a week ago and the geo has come back with a vengeance. So far I'm happy with the progress.

At this stage should I be brushing the geo off on occasion or let it run wild?

CWREBEL

Here's a pic of the flipside.

JeffHamm

Hi,

Looks good.  I think I would brush the geo back every so often myself, but you might want to wait until some of the more experienced complex rind gardeners developers have a chance to make some suggestions.

- Jeff

Boofer

I'd rub it or brush it down. You're not trying to make a Cam or Brie here, right? ;)

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

CWREBEL

Nope, just hoping to get a natural rind of some sort. Being my first aged cheese, I just wanted a little input from the experts!  :)

hoeklijn

As far as I can see this on is turning out to be a success. A cheese for you for this result so far...

CWREBEL

CWREBEL

According to Pav, what I have described as geo growth is most likely mycodore, in his opinion. It seems to be happy and self sustaining at this time.  I will probably begin to brush it back on occasion, and maybe even wash every once in a while, but for the most part, I think I'm going to let this little guy do his thing. They grow up so fast...  :'( .... ;D

CWREBEL

Here are the results of brushing a couple times over the past week. Seems to be keeping things in check nicely.