Author Topic: Sheeps Milk Cheese- First time  (Read 1590 times)

Woolie

Sheeps Milk Cheese- First time
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:22:03 AM »
I am looking for some advice.  I have been milking of my sheep that can't feed her lamb.  She is giving almost 1/2 gallon a day and her baby is not drinking it all.  I started freezing the excess milk.  I would like to make cheese from it, but I'm at a loss what kind to make.  I am fairly new to cheese making some I'm looking for something that won't be too complicated or has to be aged for a long time.  I would appreciate any help that you can give.  I am open to practicing on cow's or goats milk since sheep's milk is scarce.  I'm excited at the prospect so if all goes well I may milk a few other ewes too.

JeffHamm

Re: Sheeps Milk Cheese- First time
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:52:25 AM »
I think there are more milk solids in sheep's milk (roughly double?) compared to cow's and goat's.  So, you should get twice as much cheese from the same amount of milk.  I would think a semi-lactic would be a good way to go.  You could probably make some with the left over you get from a couple days (i.e. if you could get a litre of the milk) you could make a small semi-lactic, with white mould.  I've made a semi lactic blue that worked well with cow's milk.  Semi-lactics are pretty low effort, and only require a few minutes a day. 

- Jeff

Back 2 The Frotture

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »
Ten days after lambing the milk becomes suitable for human consumption and cheese fabrication.  Why not just make a lactic cheese?  Simple enough and really good after four days. You can sterilize the milk in bottles too.  Jeff is right about the solids in the milk's compostion.

Woolie

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:31:49 AM »
Thank you!  Great advice.  I knew that they were higher in solids and fat, but my biggest fear was wasting it on something too difficult for my level of expertise.  I didn't want to make something like feta, ricotta or yogurt.  I will do some more research on those cheeses.  Do you have any recipes you can recommend?