Author Topic: Dairy sheep, imported Awassi semen for the USA  (Read 4408 times)

proturf

Dairy sheep, imported Awassi semen for the USA
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:42:23 AM »
I am interested in importing Awassi semen from Australia into the USA.  However, the minimum order is 250 straws and I only need a dozen.  I am looking for other interested parties.  The order may also include a mix of genetics which includes there Assaf-type breed (available w/white wool or colored).

If you are interested, let me know and I can get more information to you.  I am not sure of the costs....but the purchase price for larger semen orders is about $25/straw.  They may be charging more for the smaller order and/or have a sliding price scale depending upon the sire/breed selected.

Awassi sheep are among the highest milk producers in the world and the Improved-Awassi types are know to produce 400+L of milk over a 200+ day lactation period.  And, they can do this on grass.  The cross of Awassi and East Fresian (the Assaf) is also well-known for high milk production.  The Australian source I have been in discussions with has the Improved-type with lineage directly back to Israel.  Their colored-Assaf are from crossing Awassi with colored-East Fresian.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:15:44 PM by proturf »

losecco@sbcglobal.net

Re: Dairy sheep, imported Awassi semen for the USA
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »
Hi this is Paolo LoSecco from LoSecco farms.  I saw your post about awassi genetics.  We now have awassi and f1 awassi sheep in the USA.  We brought awassi genetics from Australia in 2012.  If you are still interested in the awassi breed, we have f1 awassi rams this year for sale and we will have more in 2014.
I am including a link to our website.  If you are interested, please give me a call at 630-514-9690
http://ftp.awassidairysheep.com/ 

Regards,
Paolo LoSecco
USA Awassi Sheep Breeder