Author Topic: Cheese Wraps - Aluminum, From Grocery Store  (Read 12233 times)

Cheese Head

Cheese Wraps - Aluminum, From Grocery Store
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:13:26 PM »
Bought a package of Reynolds Brand 50 Aluminum Sheets from local grocery store here in Texas, USA for ~USD3 to use to wrap my Blue Limburgers :( for longer term aging. They are 50 to a box, pre-cut 14 in x 10.25 in or 35.5 cm x 26 cm, no details on the thickness/gauge/mill.

They are different from standard aluminum foil in that feel slightly thinner and are definitely more flexible, easier to fold/fit to any shape, plus they have a non-smooth stippled finish. I've checked Reynold's Product Details webpage and no reason for the special stippled finish, so I'm guessing that it makes them more flexible. I've emailed Reynold's asking the reason and if it is from micro-perforating as done on the ones available from Australian CheeseLinks.com.au.

Has anyone found foil wraps for cheese anywhere other than Australian CheeseLinks.com.au?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Cheese Wraps - Aluminum, From Grocery Store
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:55:47 AM »
Blue-Berger..LOL

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I have to go to costco for LARGE aluminum foil for my monster Blue Cheese. I just hope they sell one wide enough as I don't think 24" will work.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:12:32 AM »
Carter, this one from CheeseLink.com.au in Australia has a description that says it's purpose built for blue cheeses and that it is a dual layer of alum foil and waxed paper.

I've just wrapped mine in just the alum sheets, will post pics tomorrow.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:23:46 AM by John (Cheese Head) »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:11:33 AM »
I know about those sheets but do they come in sheets large enough for my monster wheels, remember 10" wide 4" high.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 02:39:22 PM »
Carter, nope only Blue Cheese specific wrap they have is the one I linked which is 190x190 mm / 7.5x7.5 inch.

Pictures of my #1 & #2 of 4 of my "Blue" Limburgers I wrapped last night using CC's clockwise fashion:

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:46:19 PM »
Pictures of my #3 & #4 of 4 of my "Blue" Limburgers I wrapped last night using CC's clockwise fashion:

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
Picture of my 4 wrapped "Blue" Limburgers that went into the fridge last night:

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »
Sweet looking but they now look like ding dongs. I'll have to find gigantic wraps for my blue.

Tea

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:33 PM »
Hey what great wraps.  We don't have anything like that here, well at least not where I live.  I like that idea.. Great.

Will be interesting to see what grows in there.  :o

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:34:58 AM »
Carter, thought they looked familiar ::), guess you will be making the Ding Dong to beat all Ding Dongs ;D.

For thems that don't know, a Ding Dong is a small manufactured cake made in USA & Canada by Hostess Company. Hostess Ding Dongs, their cousin Twinkies and cheeseroaches are the only things expected to survive a nuclear war as they have an almost infinite shelf life.

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 12:05:12 AM »
Just got an email reply to my question above:
I've emailed Reynold's asking the reason and if it is from micro-perforating as done on the ones available from Australian CheeseLinks.com.au.

----- Forwarded message from contactus@reynoldskitchens.com -----
    Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 14:50:43 -0500
    From: The Reynolds Kitchens <contactus@reynoldskitchens.com>
Reply-To: The Reynolds Kitchens <contactus@reynoldskitchens.com>
 Subject: Your Inquiry Regarding Ref# 922490
      To: webmaster@cheeseforum.org

Dear John:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Reynolds® Wrappers™ Pop Up Foil Sheets.

The embossed pattern is not micro perforation.  It is a necessary part of the manufacturing process for Reynolds Wrappers that makes the foil
easier to fold and placing it in the box. It does increase the flexibility as noted.

Please let us know if we can be of future assistance.

Jim, Reynolds Consumer Response
ContactUs@reynoldskitchens.com
Ref # 922490

MrsKK

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 03:30:44 PM »
Just a question:  How will the acidity of the cheese react with the foil?  I know many recipes specify to stay away from aluminum stock pots when making cheese.

I used foil once for lining a mold for soapmaking - the soap ate the foil away and spilled all over.

Just playing devil's advocate here...

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
MrsKK (Karen)

Good question, I don't know. There are many posts in this Forum on not using Aluminum Vats/Stockpots, and the link above to that Australian Cheese Making Equipment Supplier's Blue Cheese Aluminum Wraps have waxed paper liner. I just remember buying store bought Blue Cheese in an aluminum wrap without a liner, so assumed OK . . .

Guess I will find out :D.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:53:02 PM by John (Cheese Head) »

MrsKK

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 03:45:34 PM »
Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it turns out well.  If so, I've got a box of those foil sheets that I buy at Sam's Club.  They would come in awfully handy.

Tea

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 09:48:55 PM »
I usually use a piece of baking paper first before I wrap in the foil.  Not sure if it helps any or not.  Still experiementing.