Author Topic: New toys!  (Read 2338 times)

tnbquilt

New toys!
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »
I was making Swiss cheese today, when my new PH meter arrived in the mail! I bought the Extech 100 PH stick. I had the red Checker ph meter, which was working, but a pain to calibrate. I earned some extra money so thought I would go high tech!

I also bought a new book, Mastering Artisian Cheesemaking by Gianaclis Caldwell. I have read alot of nice things about it here on the forum, and I love a new book.

Back to my cheese,

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: New toys!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:29:29 AM »
Congratulations, Tammy!!  I'd love to read about how your learning curve goes with the pH meter because I think of getting one......but haven't yet.  I love that book also!  Wish there was more info per recipe about type of mold best suited and adjustments to make for different milks but I'm darn happy with it and am hoping for her other book for my birthday perhaps.

tnbquilt

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
There is so much info in this book that I have been needing. The beginner books were good but I outgrew them.

I am having so much fun with cheese making!

xyztal

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
I really love the new book too.  :)  I have made the Pholia farm wash-rinded cheese from that book... we'll see how it goes!

As for measuring pH - I use the pH paper.  I have learned to hate the pH meter after working in a laboratory for years.  Don't want to bring up memory again...

bbrown131211

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
I found Caldwell's book to be the best education I have found in cheesemaking. Not recipes and procedures, but a deeper understanding of what is going on and why. Just an excellent choice, I think.

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »
As for measuring pH - I use the pH paper.  I have learned to hate the pH meter after working in a laboratory for years. 

Is that really accurate enough? I had an Extech and wasn't very pleased about it: Had to calibrate in during a batch and after 3 batches it stopped working. So I'm curious about PH-paper because I always heard it was not accurate for cheese making...