Author Topic: something unusual with my Camembert  (Read 2343 times)

mbox

something unusual with my Camembert
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:43:50 PM »
Hi there,
I have made Camemberts before and followed 200 recipes as bases and later found my routine . i recently started making Camemberts using FD Motherculture ...the first batch was quite normal with a bit more yield...the second batch was yielding 14 instead of 12 pcs( 4 inch). I did the usual procedure and discovered that this batch was softer altogether . but having done what i always did i went on and they came to mature and they got the white mold and seem to become little round on the sides too. have a look at the camemberts after 10!!! days- no not a typo 10 days ...i sliced one just few minutes ago it tastes ok , a bit acid but pretty decent for a 1,5 week young cheese.....my surprise and question? How come and what to expect now ? If it will become softer it will become a white mold beverage or a large st. marcellin ...

Thanks for sharing your valued ideas,

mbox

Note: some pictures appear different but only difference was flash being used

stratocasterdave

Re: something unusual with my Camembert
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
I'll take a wild stab at this one becasue I'm very new to cheesemaking.  The holes look like a yeast contamination?  Also, I had a different make look like this and I was told it was called a "late blow" but that was after several months.  BTW, the mold looks good.

Anyway, I'll sit back and let the pros comment. 

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
I did the usual procedure and discovered that this batch was softer altogether . but having done what i always did i went on and they came to mature and they got the white mold and seem to become little round on the sides too. have a look at the camemberts after 10!!! days- no not a typo 10 days ...

A high moisture cheese ripens faster than a lower moisture one. It doesn't take much time for a cam to be done.
i sliced one just few minutes ago it tastes ok , a bit acid but pretty decent for a 1,5 week young cheese.....my surprise and question? How come and what to expect now ?
It will continue to ripen. High moisture cheese ripens faster
If it will become softer it will become a white mold beverage or a large st. marcellin ...
It will possibly get too runny. I can't quite tell how fatty the milk is. If there's not enough fat to support the moisture, it will run too much. You can mitigate by aging colder at 45F or so.

How would this become a st marcellin? That's a mixed rind geo-heavy cheese in a completely different size.
The holes look like a yeast contamination? 
They are not yeast. They are mechanical openings from an open curd.

mbox

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »
I did the usual procedure and discovered that this batch was softer altogether . but having done what i always did i went on and they came to mature and they got the white mold and seem to become little round on the sides too. have a look at the camemberts after 10!!! days- no not a typo 10 days ...

A high moisture cheese ripens faster than a lower moisture one. It doesn't take much time for a cam to be done.
i sliced one just few minutes ago it tastes ok , a bit acid but pretty decent for a 1,5 week young cheese.....my surprise and question? How come and what to expect now ?
It will continue to ripen. High moisture cheese ripens faster
If it will become softer it will become a white mold beverage or a large st. marcellin ...
It will possibly get too runny. I can't quite tell how fatty the milk is. If there's not enough fat to support the moisture, it will run too much. You can mitigate by aging colder at 45F or so.

How would this become a st marcellin? That's a mixed rind geo-heavy cheese in a completely different size.
The holes look like a yeast contamination? 
They are not yeast. They are mechanical openings from an open curd.

Thanks for the Feedback.
I have some questions regarding this....in case i find cheese becoming this soft again would i just need to drain it longer ? I am trying to understand where i have to look in order to prevent this.
I do currently age it around 45F  had thought that may help a bit to keeping it cool.

The thing about St Marcellin ....you are right , and iratherfly recently explained it to me.... because in 200recipes it was mentioned PC ( where i first added a pinch of GC towards it) and too much salt as well ....but it seems PC is actually wrong in place at st marcellin and should actually GC....i really try to get the St Marcellin right but so far it did not ....so there we have it 2 cheese mentioned in one post :-)

Thanks for your valued feedback,

mbox

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »
would i just need to drain it longer ?
Can try. Best way is decrease set time, and/or cut smaller, and/or stir a bit before ladling.

mbox

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
would i just need to drain it longer ?
Can try. Best way is decrease set time, and/or cut smaller, and/or stir a bit before ladling.

Ok , thats more logical ...thanks a lot