Author Topic: I just made my first camembert, and I only have one mold, can I cut it in half?  (Read 2800 times)

meyerandray

This may be an absurd question.  I have a half kilo mold, and I don't know what kind of result I could expect from a really tall (taller than its diameter) camembert, so can I cut it in half (height-wise) once I un mold it?   

BobE102330

Not ideal,  but better than leaving it too tall.  Slice to a bit over an inch tall. 

meyerandray

Thanks for the reply!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Not ideal,  but better than leaving it too tall.  Slice to a bit over an inch tall.

Isn't that height more of a Brie height?  Cams are taller I thought.   ???

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
How about you just make enough curd to make it the right height in the first place?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

bbracken677

Isn't that height more of a Brie height?  Cams are taller I thought.   ???

Cams and bries are about the same height.. inch tall is about right for one that has drained and begun it's molding.

meyerandray

I cut them to about an inch tall, and am feeling a little negative about the endeavor.  The knit inside wasn't very tight, so there are some holes/eyes, whatever you want to call them.  I guess we'll see what comes of it?  I ended up getting 4 forms, I hope they turn into something edible.  If not, at least I have learned that I need to be better equipped for my next camembert attempt.
I'll post some pics tonight and if you have any thoughts/opinions, I would love to hear them

BobE102330

The mechanical openings are par for the course at this stage.  The ripening process will fill most of them.  No worries.

meyerandray

Thanks, that is reassuring!