Author Topic: Cheddar and spice and all things nice  (Read 2074 times)

Eileen

Cheddar and spice and all things nice
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
This one I made today - should be interesting. Cheddar with onion, garlic, paprika, ginger and horseradish.

BobE102330

Re: Cheddar and spice and all things nice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
NICE!  I've had a request for a repeat of my straight horseradish cheddar.  How did you prep the spices? 

Eileen

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
They came in a pack from a company called Lactoferm in Belgium. Just had to blanch in boiling water for a minute before adding at the milling stage

High Altitude

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:13:14 PM »
Just gorgeous Eileen! Can't wait to hear how it turns out.  What size cheese is it?

And Bob, how do you prep your horseradish?  Do you use fresh grated and blanch?  When do you add?  Too many questions....I just need to start experimenting I think :-)!!  A great fear is that one day I will cut open a cheese and find moldy peppers within...ewww.

Eileen

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
It weighs 1lb 9 oz or  862 grams

BobE102330

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
H.A. - I grated fresh and dried it.  I thought I was adding a lot with about a half cup in a 2 gallon make.  Could have used at least twice that.  Blanching would have been a good idea.   I added the horseradish after draining, during the cook/stir in the warm pot phase.  I followed Rikki Carrol's stirred curd recipe, but reduced the culture by half and renneted at a rate I know works for me.

High Altitude

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:12 AM »
Bob...gonna give that a try!  I LOVE horseradish...the stronger the better so appreciate the advise on amount.  I typically make 2 pounders and would also have thought 1/2 cup would be plenty.

BobE102330

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:27:26 AM »
The root I had wasn't particularly pungent.

High Altitude

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:49:36 PM »
Good to know Bob...