Author Topic: Opinions, experiences re:Renco veal rennet? I could sure use some advice.  (Read 3588 times)

laurensinthegarden

Is anyone currently using powdered veal rennet from Renco? What appeals to me is that it is not genetically modified and has superior stability when stored properly.  But how easy is it to use?

Based on what I've read on this forum, some have described it as a persnickety coagulant vs the liquid animal rennet.  I most likely missed something from the vast stores of information on this forum (yes, it's amazing!!)  but I didn't see much discussion about using powdered animal rennet (diluted of course).  The liquid form is more popular, but I was wondering if that was because it's more convenient to use, or from a reliability standpoint, or ?

What's throwing me is that I don't know if the powdered rennet is user-friendly if I'm only making small batches in the 1-4 gallon range. I'm still pretty novice and am not sure how to begin to figure the proper amount of powdered rennet.  If anyone knows how to do this and would give me a hand with the calc. I'd forever be indebted. 

Occasionally I'll have an extra quart or half gallon of raw cream that I'd like to make into cream cheese and was wondering how powdered rennet would work in that situation.

I'd sure appreciate any thoughts about this.  Thanks in advance!
Laurensinthegarden

linuxboy

Re: Opinions, experiences re:Renco veal rennet? I could sure use some advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:21:12 PM »
For small batches, it's so concentrated that you have to be able to measure out micrograms or dissolve some in water and use up whatever is dissolved within a few weeks. Otherwise, it's excellent rennet.

george

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »
I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I like it fine.  Granted, I'm making all aged cheeses, so I never need to get down to the micro level like you with cream cheese and sech.  I have some of those cute little measuring spoons (pinch, dash, etc) and the smallest is actually 1/32nd of a teaspoon - which is the least amount of rennet I've ever had to use.  I dissolve it, of course.  And I rarely go by recipe amounts anyway, using the floc method lets me know how much to use for each cheese without having to convert liquid to dry measurements.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
Hey, Lauren, I too have been happily using Renco dry calf rennet for some time now. I typically use 2, 3 , or 4 gallons in my makes. Never made cream cheese.

A have a set of those 1/8th, 1/16th, and 1/32nd teaspoon measures that I use all the time. Along with george, I've never used less than 1/32nd tsp. Once you make a few cheeses and see how the milk flocculates, you get a sense for how much rennet to use. Less is more.

Santa was good to me so I now have a digital scale that would theoretically allow me to measure out my rennet in grams as linuxboy recommends. That may be my next endeavor, though the spoons have worked well so far.

For small batches, it's so concentrated that you have to be able to measure out micrograms or dissolve some in water and use up whatever is dissolved within a few weeks. Otherwise, it's excellent rennet.
Wait...What!!???.

Dissolve the rennet and then use it up within a few weeks? My tutelage has been make it up (with cold distilled water) just prior to using it and don't let it sit for any length of time prior to its use.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:00:23 PM »
Wait...What!!???.

Dissolve the rennet and then use it up within a few weeks?
Sure. If you don't feel like measuring powder and are more comfortable with the liquid, then it's always possible to make your own liquid rennet in whatever IMCU strength you want and keep it in the fridge for use over several batches. Use a 20% brine solution. With some benzoate and a little coloring and it would be exactly like the liquid rennet that's sold. Without benzoate, best to use it up quickly, within a few weeks.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »
Wow, who knew?
This represents a paradigm shift in my rennet thinking.

I would expect there would be some loss in efficacy over using pristine fresh.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »
You're just reversing the freeze drying process used to produce the powder. Sure, there's loss over time and possibility of contamination (especially when not using a preservative with it). But the loss is miniscule over a few weeks. And with good handling, shouldn't get contaminated. Biggest issue with strength loss is water pH. If using distilled water, ideally should lower the pH a tad to 5.5-6.0 from 7.

mjr522

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
Lower the pH with...vinegar, citric acid/lemon juice, something else? Or, does it even matter what you use?

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
does not matter. Usually hydrochloric is used.