Author Topic: Writing on cheese  (Read 1734 times)

Lynda Garneau

Writing on cheese
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:53:13 AM »
I just bought a set of Wilton markers to use to write my cheese types on my wheels, but the tips gum up right away, and it is almost impossible to write on them. How do you identify the different cheese types?

mjr522

Re: Writing on cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:02:12 AM »
For waxed cheeses, wax a label to it.  For bagged cheeses, write on the bag with a sharpie.  For other cheeses, label the spot.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:40:46 AM »
as mike says, different labels for different cheese types
for washed rind cheeses, we can use a cassein marker to write directly on the rind. but this is done when we take it out of the press. before the brining. we use this to mark the date on our cheeses
but the best kind of label is to have cassein labels made. these are like plastic, but are made of cassein protein and are edible .
these labels are not washed away or erased with rind treatment

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
With my natural rind cheeses, I write up a label with dates and make notes and keep it in a snack sized ziploc baggie and keep it on the shelf next to the cheese.  I put a date range of when the cheese will be well aged for consumption, too, that way I don't have to keep counting on my fingers to figure it out.

Don't put the baggie on top of the cheese or you will have mold growing under it in quick order.