Author Topic: Jack Bhut, Fatali  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Jack Bhut, Fatali
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »
On more serious note, I am a spice wimp and have always had trouble imagining why people would enjoy eating things that are painfully hot but now I understand after reading that bit about it being the flavor that is sought after and that the heat is it's co-pilot.  It all makes sense to me.  I have always enjoyed watching other people eat hot things.  I love how the steam comes out of Joseph's (my sweetie) ears when he eats wasabi paste. I find it vastly entertaining.  ;D

BobE102330

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 09:47:19 PM »
"Jack Bhut" A Monterrey Jack with bhut jalokia and Fatali scotch bonnet peppers. A bit dry and crumbly (I need to get a PH meter), but tasty and ooh, that burn comes on slowly after swallowing and builds to OMG!

Offline Spike

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 10
  • Time to turn the cheese
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
BobE - Looks good enough to eat!

I am kind of new at this and have a question. The picture you posted today looks like the cheese is half as tall as the original pictures on page 1. Did the cheese shrink that much in 3 months, or is your latest post not the whole cheese?

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »
Very nice looking result.  A cheese to your bhut!

- Jeff

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 12:56:17 AM »
Dude, 
sounds more like thermonuclear fire!  I spent a couple of years in Korea but I've lost my tolerance for insane heat.  I love it when people take things to the extreme.  Sounds hot enough it'll burn ya twice.  Sounds like an awesome cheese.....for the initiated.

cheers and a cheese

Mike

meyerandray

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
How did you age that one?  What temp and what humidity?  I like your natural rind!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
Bob, I'm glad this thread has been brought  to the top of the list again since you mentioned using it on Memorial Day burgers.  I want to read about how yummy those turn out!  Have a great weekend and share the glory of your contribution with tasting notes of this cheese on purgers.

BobE102330

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »
I split the wheel in half so I have two half height wheels. One is going to my son.

Most of the time it was vacuum bagged. I noticed some weepage so it went open air for the last three weeks. The temp was around 55 and RH 70-80% depending on how much other cheese was there. I guess I have some geo from a Camembert make. My Caerphillys get the same rind.

Heat tolerance is something that must be maintained. It's getting tougher as I approach the double nickel. Having a son who regularly uses 1,000,000+ Scoville sauces keeps me motivated.

Thanks for the interest and the cheeses.