Author Topic: Hello from Sweden  (Read 2359 times)

Michael S

Hello from Sweden
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »
Hello everyone.
I am new when it comes to cheese, but have read a lot on this great forum. Thanks for all the answers I've found! (There are many questions left anyway)
I've so far tried to make haloumi with successful results, but ideally I'd probably like to do a cheese type Jarlsberg. We'll see when I get there. I will probably try to do both Cheddar and blue cheese in the future, if I know myself :)
My only experience so far with homemade cheese is that I cold smoked Gouda. Which tasted very good and has become a popular gift among my friends.

Homemade sausage and home-brewed beer is also common in my home.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Hello from Sweden
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I have a few friends in Sweden.  Enjoy all of the great people here and the great info!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »
Welcome!  Look forward to cheese stories from you!   :D

High Altitude

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:30:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  You'll enjoy interacting with many cheesy experts here (I'm a newby however, but working hard on it!).  Tomorrow I'll start on my first Jarlsberg actually...will let you know how it goes.

Mora mi er Norsk, saa kan litte-bitte-gran Svensk, men bedre paa Norsk :-).  Lykke til!

Michael S

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:41:08 PM »
Thanks you all for your reply.
I am a blacksmith as a profession,and one of my customer have told me that his father is a retired cheesemaker. I have been promised to meet him in a few weeks, it'll be exciting I think. Among those I helped before is also a farmer who has cows, He's probably owe me several hundred liters of milk so milk is not a problem ;) It's just the time that is missing.
I admit, I do not eat much cheese. Today it's more fun to make cheese than eat it. It may be that the cheese I tasted before has not been as good as homemade cheese can be. I'll probably change my mind, when I have finished my first cheese.

High Altitude.
Tack så mycket.
Looking forward to hear about your experiences regarding Jarlsberg.

mjr522

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 01:26:45 AM »
Welcome!  A blacksmith, eh?  That's pretty cool.

Don't be too disappointed if your first few cheeses don't make you like cheese any better.  Some people have fantastic results right off the bat.  Others, like me, take a little longer to figure it out.  You're off to a good start, though, by finding this forum early on.

peter8365

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »
Might as well introduce myself in this thread as we're from the same part of the world.
I've been lurking around this forum for a while, picking up some great info. I've just come around to making my first cheese, a simple queso blanco with some sundried tomatoes and basil which I pressed for a few hours. It wasn't great right from the start, but after a couple of days in the fridge it developed a quite nice taste for a simple cheese. One thing is for sure though, I'm hooked! I've ordered lots of molds, starter cultures etc, and I've set a goal of making at least 50 different types of cheese before next christmas, we'll see how it goes, but I'm having so much fun with this it's all I can think of nowdays.

High Altitude

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »
I know what you mean Peter!  I have just finished my 10th hard cheese in about 6 weeks...very addicting.  I already have 2 planned for next week, and will probably continue on that path until I can't fit any more in the 'cave"...and then I'll make more Jarlsberg that I can keep out at room temperature much of the time ;-)!

Ha det moro du :-)!!