Author Topic: Hello, I'm freakin' out in S. Oregon  (Read 2654 times)

Clean break

Hello, I'm freakin' out in S. Oregon
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:09:47 AM »
I just found this intro. page and thought that sounded like a pretty good idea.  To make a super duper long story short, my wife and I ended up in France on a fluke and discovered French cheese ( if you have a few minutes check out my blog, it's a pretty cool story http://mypoemsurgery.blogspot.com/2013/01/january-9th-2012.html If you read the first post only you will get the idea and all went as planned but if you have the time check out the rest.  I was introduced to cheese on that trip.  Stinky rank awful delicious Muenster cheese.  That is actually my ultimate goal with all of this, to produce a Muenster style cheese that will clear the house in 30 seconds.  I understand this will take a while. O0

I don't need to explain my new found passion to any of you... you get it.  Making cheese is pretty much all I think about any more.  I have purchased the basics, made a cave, tried a bunch of recipes in the last three or four weeks and can't get enough.  Fortunately Gianaclis Caldwell lives not too far from me so I have signed up for a few of her classes.  I picked up two gallons of raw goat milk last night and I am headed out to get a couple gallons of raw jersey milk tomorrow after work.  Not sure what we will have at the end of saturday but it will be a great day.  I have had some failures already but the ready to eat quick cheese I have made were really good (feta, chèvre, yogurt, creme freche), there are a couple blue goudas a cheddar and gruyere in the cave and I can't wait to crack them open in a few weeks.

I could go on and on and sometimes I do go on and on depending on the amount of free time I have, excitement level, caffeine level etc. I just wanted to say a quick hello, introduce myself and let you all know there is another cheese making addict on board.
Short on free time at the moment >:(

If any of you are in the area, let's make some cheese.
Hello again everyone,
Scott

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:14:23 PM by Clean break »

mjr522

Re: Hello, I'm freakin' out in S. Oregon
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:45:41 AM »
Welcome!  I just told my wife that I am jealous of all those forum members who live close enough to attend classes from people who know what they are doing. :)  Luckily, I'm not much of a jealous person, so really I'm glad you get to accelerate that portion of your learning.

A blue Gouda?  I don't know that I have heard of that before.  Interesting...post some photos when you get the chance.

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I know a recipe for blue Gouda (Tim Smith's book) but I'm curious about the one you are using. Blue Gouda's are hard to find, even here in the neighborhood of Gouda. The most famous blue over here is Blue Delft http://cheeselandinc.com/delft_blue_cheese.html.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:03:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I know a recipe for blue Gouda (Tim Smith's book) but I'm curious about the one you are using. Blue Gouda's are hard to find, even here in the neighborhood of Gouda. The most famous blue over here is Blue Delft http://cheeselandinc.com/delft_blue_cheese.html.

OK, I am going to report this to a moderator.....

That recipe sounds so good and we do not have any cheese like that here in OZ.  O0
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Clean break

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »
The blue gouda recipe is from Artisan cheese making at home by Mary Karlin.  I made two, the first one did not knit very well so as per linuxboy's tip, I pressed the second one under whey and it came out great.  I just waxed them yesterday (sorry no pics) and the first one had blue all in the craggies between the curds that did not knit and the second one has a hard yellow rind on the outside. 

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »
Well, I've got a big blue aging at the moment but when that one is finished, I think I'll try a blue Gouda too....

mjr522

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
I haven't made any blues, but someday I will.  Then, someday + a few more days, I'll try a blue Gouda, too.

Clean break

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
Now I am totally freaked out.  ;D Today is Tomme day.  5% Jersey, squirted yesterday morning. O0  made yogurt last night from some store bought, ripening a chèvre and feta (can't get enough of that stuff) as we speak.

bbracken677

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 05:06:09 PM »
Nice going! 

And you have certainly piqued my interest with regards to making a blue gouda.....

So many cheeses, so little time.......