Author Topic: HI from the farm  (Read 1559 times)

farmboy236

HI from the farm
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
We are excited to find a venue that can teach us how to make cheese!  My wife and I own a farm in Alexandria, TN we are currently milking a Jersey and have been bitten with the cheese bug!  Right now I have about 4/5 (or more) gallons of raw milk in the fridge (lots and lots more on the way) and have made all the mozz I can possibly use this year!  My cheese making goal is to make a Dolce Gorgonzola or some form of soft ripened Blue but I understand that that is wwwaaayyy out of my league right now.  Our immediate goal is to make Parmesan and Camembert/Brie.  Are there any experienced cheese makers out there in Middle Tennessee who would like to exchange some milk for some experience/teaching?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: HI from the farm
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »
Hi FB,
 welcome to the forum. if you like blue cheese try a Stilton very easy and lots of info on them here
Enjoy and have fun (OH don't forget the pix) ;)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

High Altitude

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »
Welcome!  Looking forward to seeing what you make.  And know that NOTHING is out of your league...you'll be surprised.  Even the experts have issues sometimes, and beginners have great successes.  You'll love this forum!  Cheers....

mjr522

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 01:12:54 AM »
Welcome!  Tennessee is one of the places I'm considering ending up when I end up...how do you like it there?

There's all kinds of information available here for you--lots of experienced people to answer questions, too, when you can't find it elsewhere.

Be sure to post pictures of your experiences when you've got questions (they help in diagnosing) or have successes (H-K-J really enjoys pictures).

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
some form of soft ripened Blue
You may wish to try a Fourme d'Ambert. Fairly easy to put together, mild blue, very creamy & tasty. :)

Welcome to the forum. Use the SEARCH function and don't be afraid to ask questions.

In case you're worried about failing....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

farmboy236

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
  Thanks to all for the replies!  Wow, got some learning to do (you guys are intimidating and awesomely talented).  I go tomorrow to buy my CL found "cheese cave", a wine cooler with 2 different zones with controllable temps and humidity, for $60 I figure what the heck.  I need to find an INEXPENSIVE alternative to purchased cheese moulds; I am a little afraid of using PVC in this acid an environment, any suggestions?  I have a bunch of questions about using slurries but I need to do a search first and post a new thread on it.  Thanks guys, I am looking forward to this!

xyztal

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
I have been told by a professional cheesemaker not to use PVC exactly because of the acid problem.  I have seen it somewhere that people collect sour cream and yoghurt plastic container and drill holes in it - seems to work fine.  I brought a dozen of those 'disposable ricotta mold' from cheesemaking.com but they can actually be re-used for quite a few times.  :)

farmboy236

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »
I found some 16 oz storage containers that are roughly Camembert sized, 4 1/4 x 3 1/4, with straight sides.  I will drill some drainage holes and away we go.

Clean break

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
Welcome Farmboy,
If you have a soldering iron it works great for drilling the holes.  I did find that they sort of smelled for a day or so but the holes are very clean and it was easier than drilling.
Scott

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »
I need to find an INEXPENSIVE alternative to purchased cheese moulds;
You might be surprised at how many types of cheese you can put together with just 2 moulds.
  • What can you make with a "standard" Tomme mould?
    • Tomme cheese style
    • Cheddar cheese style
    • Gouda cheese style
    • Emmentaler cheese style
  • What can you make with a Camembert mould?
    • Camembert cheese style
    • Reblochon cheese style
    • Fourme d'Ambert cheese style
    • Lactic curd cheese styles
Forum member iratherfly can get you reasonably affordable cheese moulds. PM him. Investing in just the two moulds above will let you explore a lot of different cheese styles, pressed and unpressed.

The attached sheet is extracted from Glengarry Cheesemaking. Click on the image to enlarge it for viewing.

HTH.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.