Author Topic: Emmentaler Rezept, auf Wunsch!  (Read 10847 times)

linuxboy

Re: Emmentaler Rezept, auf Wunsch!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 04:20:10 AM »
THEN i researched that this cheese is best made with large amounts of milk, so here i try again.
You need to exceed a certain threshold for the thickness and width. At least 3" and no more than around 6-8" tall. The cheese needs to swell and if it is too thick, it doesn't work as it should. For the diameter, a bigger wheel helps with forming a good fuse of the curds, as there's more curd mass.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:56:59 PM by linuxboy »

green zebra

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
I am making the emmentaler as i write this entry. I will use the mold i described and hope this size will produce a better scaled cheese.
The two 20 Litre pots are ripening at the same time so i am keeping a close watch.
The cultures being used are Thermo B and C and P. Shermanii
Hoping for a successful trial! ^-^

Alpkäserei

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »
just curious zebra, how did your make go?

green zebra

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 06:57:38 PM »
Hi Alp!
I have attached a picture of my week old Emmentaler! You can barely see that it stands 4" tall and when i took it out of the press it weighed 8lb. This is an 8 gallon batch, two gallons of 2% & 6 gallons of whole milk.
Some bulging is starting to form. It smells good. Have to keep wiping off a thin dusting of white mold. I got the pH levels dead on, so i am happy with the results so far. I used both recipes from 200 Easy and Mastering Artisan cheesemaking books.  Recipes are similar except that Ms. Caldwell outlines the pH levels better than the other book. This one was easy to do but alot more slugging with the two pots!
I would make it again!
Doris