Help?

Started by xyztal, March 02, 2013, 06:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xyztal

So the other day I brought the "Mastering artisan cheesemaking" book by Gianaclis Caldwell and I was so excited that I jumped in to try her "Pholia Farm washed rind cheese".  Followed her recipe but I skipped the SR3 B linen (I got 8L of raw milk but no B linen in hand).  Everything turned out quite nicely til I started washing it with light brine ale wash... I did two wash and then I found out my cheese start getting wet and sticky...

It also smells a bit off (not strong, and if I open the ripening box every now to keep the air flow it seems fine).  Can't quite figure out what caused that 'bruise'-like color.  I used old speckle hen to wash my cheese so could that be it?! 

What should I do?  Should I let the cheese dry out a little bit?  Or did I do something really wrong?

JeffHamm

I'm assuming you're washing with beer and salt?  I've not washed with beer, just brine, but with brine washing you will get b.linens from the wild.  No need to add any.  I would think something similar will happen with beer brine washes.  The rind should smear up (go like a paste) and it will smell, and b.linens gives a red or orange colour.  So, basically, without further information, I would think things are actually going to plan.

- Jeff

xyztal

Yes.  The book calls for 2 tsp of salt in 12 oz of ale.  I will wait for another week and see what happens...?

WovenMeadows

You will probably first find the rind getting damp and sticky/tacky, but without much if any color happening (perhaps more on the beige side of things if anything), which I think is some yeast action. But this is good, as it preps the rind for b. linens growth down the road, which may not happen for a few weeks. Just keep up the washing to keep the rind moist and prevent drying out or more fuzzy type molds from growing.

xyztal

I have eventually decided to throw away the cheese.  The rind hasn't dried out at all (I open the container every day to let it air out a bit) and the cheese has split because it's oozing too much.  *sob*  I think my cheese was a bit too thin to start - yesterday it looked like a slimy pancake rather than ripening cheese... The color hasn't changed at all either in the past week.

Oh well - lesson to learn.

Tiarella

Did you taste any of it before throwing out?  I've seen cracked and oozing cheeses consumed with excitement on this forum.   :D

xyztal

I have indeed (after successfully convinced myself to get past that 'slimy' surface)!  It tasted like a very mild brie...  slightly more crumbly than brie.  It was pleasantly surprised by it.  But there's just no way for me to ripen the cheese further while keeping it intact...!!!  :-[

Tiarella

Sounds tasty and that's all that counts.   ;D  Many people make cheese that fragile on purpose but have containers, strips of bark or whatever to hold them together until they can be enjoyed.