Author Topic: Blue Cheese an Opening By Carter  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Blue Cheese an Opening By Carter
« on: May 23, 2009, 04:38:57 AM »
So I opened one of my blue cheeses and it sucked. Way too salty and nasty tasting. The curds from the beginning didn't look too well so it was either the making of or the milk. Anyway. Here are some pics. Enjoy. Enjoy the pics not the cheese as it was horrible.

P.S. It wasn't that marbled on the inside.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Blue Cheese an Opening By Carter
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:03:59 PM »
Sorry to hear of your disappointment in the cheese. It didn't look bad. Do you have any ideas what you should have done differently (besides less salt)?

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »
I did enjoy the pics.  So sorry that it turned out poorly for you.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »
I don't know exactly what went wrong, but I think it happened at the time of making it. Bad milk or something else.

Caise-bodach

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 05:17:23 AM »
Cartier, did you press this cheese at all when making it?  I'm wondering if that's why it wasn't very marbled inside...might have pressed the openings closed (if you know what I mean.)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »
Old Man, probably. I pressed it a little to give it shape. I don't care so much about marbling as much as the taste lol, which was horrible.

Caise-bodach

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:05:49 AM »
Well, I don't know what is wrong with you...I've NEVER made a horrible tasting cheese!  (And if you believe that, I've got some "beach-front" property in Arizona to sell you...lots of sun, sand, palm trees...gotta be a beach somewhere...LOL)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:01:26 AM »
Hey if it's on lake havasu I'll take it.

wharris

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about it.  That really sucks.  Do you think you have a handle on what went bad?

As I ramp up to larger, Carter-sized batches,  I struggle with the "what if" questions should a batch goes bad.  With my small batches, I am out only 5 gallons of milk.   (I just tossed about (5) 2lb cheddar wheels that were blocks of crumbly sour nastiness)

I cannot imagine having a catastrophe with 15 gallon or 30 gallon batches.   This is nerve wracking.

chilipepper

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »
Hey Carter sorry to hear that didn't go as planned!  Can you elaborate on nasty tasting?  Did it have ammonia taste/smell?  Sour/rotton milk or just not quite like a nice blue?  Are you going to try anything with it or is it garbage?

It doesn't look too bad, not much bluing but if it tastes bad.... kind of hard to overlook that!

Ryan