Author Topic: Chabichou - not really set curds?  (Read 8322 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Chabichou - not really set curds?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 11:54:59 PM »
I am ONLY guessing......I think you needed to move them to colder fridge (either wrapped or in an enclosed box) sooner, that the Geo got into some heavy out of control partying and went too far.  This is just a guess though.  Hoping someone with more experience will chime in with something better than a guess.  Sorry for the news.  You didn't want to smear the liquid-y center on bread or crackers?   ???

Thanks for the story of your name!  It is lovely.   :)

Salilah

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »
The rind (with small amounts of the runny middle) did go very nicely on my (also slightly dubious) rye loaf!!
Yes nice idea about fridge sooner - I left it out until the wrinkly rind developed.  I also made 4 smaller taller ones (a week later) so I'll see how those are

If this works, here's a pic of the cheese just before eating, after most of the liquid had been drained (it did start flat, and got flatter!) - and another showing it mostly eaten (!!)
It does have a bit of the wriggly skin <grin>

Salilah

Re: Chabichou - success!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
Well, family were here for Easter Sunday, so I thought they could try out the taller thinner Chabichou <evil grin>

It was very good!!
Left the rind behind on the plastic mat (thoroughly) - the cheese was smooth and soft, a bit runny under the rind but not too much, it was a rich taste, fresh and complex at the same time, with a pronounced tang of goat...
OH and I had the second one on Monday evening when family had gone - yummy! 

2 more in the fridge (oh, and a flat one)
so I need to make some more

Tried a different culture at the weekend (finally got my parcel - long story) so I'll report on that on another thread later
photos to follow!!
S

Tomer1

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »
I think you should drain longer. sounds like too much moisture.
Colder ripening might also be a good idea at 8-10c.

Salilah

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 07:23:27 AM »
Re temperature:
I start in the kitchen for draining - so up to about 36h - at around 20-23C
I then move into the lounge for around 24h at about 16C
(unmoulding some time in the above, salting)
Then move to the "baby barn" which is currently between 4C and 8C (the weather is cold here this year!) for a week or so, until the PC or whatever develops white furry covering (other mould)
Once furry, into the fridge at 4C
All the time, on a bit of plastic matting on something (to keep it off the base) in a plastic tub with a fitting lid (but not sealed down)

Hope this makes sense!