Author Topic: An other Cabra al Vino  (Read 4591 times)

hoeklijn

An other Cabra al Vino
« on: March 03, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »
Because I got my hands on a 21cm Tomme mould and wanted to try it, I started a Cabra al Vino yesterday and decided to go for Linuxboy's Tomme recipe for a basic Tomme on wacheese.com and his directions on this forum.
So I didn't add salt to the curd like I was used to, but put the cheese this morning in a wine brine with 3 liter red wine, 600 gram n.i. salt and 1 1/2 tsp CaCl. Very curious how it will turn out....

cheers,
Herman
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:01:09 PM by hoeklijn »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: An other Cabra al Vino
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
WOW! now that looks's nice' I'll bet the wine brine will make an excellent Rind 8)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:18:15 AM »
Yes, I hope so. Normally I added salt to the curd and soaked the cheese in pure wine, but according to Linuxboy and Iratherfly this is better....

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
I did a Tomme de Merlot a while back. It was okay but not outstanding. I believe some of it is still hanging around in the back of the fridge.

I'm very curious how yours will progress and if the wine-brine will infuse sufficient salt towards the center of your wheel. So your wine-salt-CACL ratio came from Pav and Yoav?

Can you share details of your wine soak process?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
I'm very curious how yours will progress and if the wine-brine will infuse sufficient salt towards the center of your wheel. So your wine-salt-CACL ratio came from Pav and Yoav?

Can you share details of your wine soak process?

-Boofer-

No, not the wine-salt-CaCl ratio came from them but the idea to skip adding the salt to the curd and brine the cheese in a wine-salt solution.
The ratio I used is based on my normal brine that I use for Gouda's, only turned the water into wine (don't call me cheesus...) and skipped the vinegar because I'm counting on the acidity of the wine (My PH-meter is not working anymore...).
Details: Buy 3 liter of the cheapest Merlot you can find in the supermarket, add the salt and the CaCl to it, warm it a bit to dissolve the salt and soak the cheese in it for 36 hours.
Tonight I will get it out, dry it for 24 hours and I guess I then will soak it again for 24 hours... I'll keep you posted...

mjr522

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »
Very cool--how much does the cheese weigh?

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:31:24 PM »
It would be interesting to note if the wine acids permeate the cheese and making it more acidic.  (which one could compensate by washing the curds and salt\de-mold earlier).

hoeklijn

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 07:18:55 AM »
@Mike: Tonight I'm going to weight it, after a 24 hours drying and before it will go back into the wine for an other 24 hours.
@Tomer1: Yes, I'm already very curious how the taste will be compared to earlier Cabra's I made and where I followed an other recipe...

hoeklijn

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
Very cool--how much does the cheese weigh?

Before the second dive into the wine it was 2.6 kilo, about 5.7 lbs...

mjr522

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »
Thanks!  I'm becoming more enamoured with the idea of big cheeses (though I'm also liking the idea of making multiple little cheeses at the same time).

hoeklijn

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 07:00:43 PM »
Yes, I can imagine... Small goat cheeses like Valency are fun, cheeses of 2 lbs like baby Gouda's for the family are fun and it's fun to cut big cheeses on parties etc. Hell, all cheeses are fun  ^-^ One of the reasons for the Tomme mould is that I want to try Alp cheeses like Sbrinz and Emmental...

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »
how is your cheese progressing now in two month?

I'm wondering what's if vine brining is done AFTER salt bath? any ideas?

meyerandray

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »
Did you use 100% goat's milk for this make?  How long will you age it?  I was considering trying a brined cheese, and I think a wine-brined goat's cheese sounds interesting and delicious-my husband will be sad about the 3 liters of wine "sacrificed" for the cause. 
Can you post some updated pics and observations, and an estimated opening date??  You have me quite intrigued,
Celine

hoeklijn

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
@Vina: This is the first one that I brined in a salt-wine solution, previously I added the salt to the curds, pressed the cheese and then soaked it in the wine. I cut it last week and I thought it was a bit to salt, but collegues that tasted it liked it very much...
@ meyerandray: yes, 100% goat and it aged just about 8 weeks. Don't sacrify your best red wine for this, a cheap but dark red wine will do (IMHO). I'm at work at the moment ("checking email"  ;) ) so I can't update pictures now. Maybe this weekend if I'm not too busy...

High Altitude

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:48 AM »
Can't wait to follow this one!  Such royal coloring.  Question though:  why wouldn't you use a decent red, vice an 'el cheapo'?  I would think some of the nuances of a good quality wine would enhance the rind flavor.  I will definitely try making one of these....maybe in the late summer/early fall.  May have to hit up one of the local goat farms with Mike  ;D!