Author Topic: Can you comment on my rind development?  (Read 6366 times)

Clean break

Re: Can you comment on my rind development?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »
OK, I just found this thread. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10633.0.html  but I have no idea how much b. linens to add to a quart of brine wash.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
Hi Scott,  I don't actually add B. linens to the wash.  It is showing up on most cheeses all by it's self.  I have used PLA and that includes B. linens so it's in the make I think.  I used Alp's guidelines, sort of.  He was just writing them out when I was doing this cheese and so I kept making mistakes because certain aspects hadn't been covered yet in his tutorial. basically I kept it wet with washing with a white wine, salt and water mix until it developed a schmear.  Then I'd rub that around regularly.  I just did this and at some point the B. linens smell was stronger than I wanted so I gave it some washing under the faucet  (spring water here, no chlorine/flouride) and then let it dry slowly by leaving the box lid open a bit.  Alp doesn't like the idea of boxes but I don't have a choice at this time.

Drying it off is tricky once you've decided that the "schmear" time is over.  Especially with winter's dry air I found it tricky to dry it at the right speed.  One trick i've learned is that if it gets small cracks to rub with a salt rich brine and let the salt remoisten the rind. 

Not sure if this is helpful.......hope so.

Clean break

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
Thanks T,
I think you have goats if I remember correctly.  Can you check out this post if that is true and tell me what you think  [url]http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11104.0.html/url]

I didn't use any sort of b. linens in the make so I need to add some to the brine.  I posted on that other thread so hopefully Alp will respond as to how much to add to the brine, I just have no idea if it is a skewer, pinch, 1/8 t and I don't want it to be too much and go crazy or not enough and have zippo.
Thanks again,
Scott