Author Topic: press weight  (Read 2272 times)

Offline abeparent2000

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
press weight
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »
hi!! in all that forum it have some receipe and procedure but nobody tell what are the size of there mold they use. how can i know how to ajust the pressing weight??

BobE102330

Re: press weight
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:37:51 PM »
Just a guess, but your the recipe calls for 2 gallons of milk it goes in a 5" mold, and 4 gallons in a 7.5" mold.  If you want to double a 2 gallon recipe, triple the pressure called for in a 5" mold for a 7.5" mold, since it has three times the area.  Press at the same PSI...

Offline abeparent2000

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:09:41 AM »
yes but maybe i want a cheese more high but less large. i will do some cheese in 10 gal recipe. so i may use large mold. the weight dont need to be really exact??

sorry my english is bad. if some speack french it will be a pleasur to talk with

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:43:46 AM »
Sorry, I am a stereotypical American and speak English and occasional spots of other languages useful in restaurants.  ;)

I'd try to keep the PSI the same (Newtons/cm^2?)  So if your recipe calls for a 150 mm mold and you want to use a 225 mm mold, then the pressure must multiply by 2.25 (the ratios of their areas). 

Some cheeses work better in a particular form factor, be careful making them too thick.  you may have better results using multiple molds to keep the height the same as the original.  What recipe are you thinking of making?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:56:35 AM »
Demandez à la personne qui a posté la recette pour le poids dans le carré de livres ou PSI. Alors vous pouvez calculer le poids pour la grandeur de votre forme.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Alpkäserei

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
Es tut mir Leid, aber ich spreche kaum Französisch. Hochdeutsch oder Berndeutsch aber sprech'ich gern
many cheeses that are hard pressed need to follow certain height rules. Swiss or Alpine type cheeses generally need to be of a consistent height to age properly, this is in the 4 to 6 inch range. this is why small homemade cheeses are tall, while the large cheese of the same type is wider
I follow specific pressing procedures as they are practiced and taught in Switzerland, this is a 7 rotation schedule all at the same weight, starting with 5 minutes on the press and basically doubling the time before each flip
tThe weight facter we use is 8 pounds of pressing force for every 1 pound of cheese.

Offline abeparent2000

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 01:59:33 AM »
ok thanks you all. i want to make some parmiggiano that why i want to make 10 pound wheel. if someonw can give me a receipe and the sise of mold to use and the pressing weight it will be very apreciate ^-^ ^-^